The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
68gmcdually

Need help - T.B.I. vs. carb

I am in the process of remounting my '68 LWB extend-a-cab on a 1992 GMC 3500 dually frame. The new chassis came with a 5.7 L on straight propane. Eliminated the propane and put it on my brother's 1990 GMC 1500 and decided to put his intake and gas tank on my truck. My dad is a serious die hard against Throttle Body Injection, says that it is too expensive/complicated to fix. I would like to hear from anyone out there who has "made the swap" from a carb. to a T.B.I. system. Also did you have any problems locating the computer in a A/C equipped cab. Thanks alot, this board has been such a great resource.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
kwmech

TBI is the simplest fuel injection on the market, not all that complicated and the easiest to convert. Your dad just doesn't understand what it is all about, that is why he is dead set against. As for a computor mount, I happen to be working on a bracket at the moment for the AC cab. Not quite sure when it will be done though. Maybe a few weeks.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I worked at Painless Wiring in the early 90s. We made lots of those swap harnesses. Then, I worked as a line mechanic at a Chevy dealer.

Believe me, TBI is good stuff. It's dead simple. Once you get the basic understanding, you can pretty much diagnose one with a paperclip (to jumper the terminals and check codes). TBI ain't sexy, but it works better than a carburator for year-in year-out all-season drivability.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
68gmcdually

He has been a licenced mechanic since the early seventies, so he understands carbs the best. All of the wiring is what has me worried, I just got off of the phone with him, apparently he just primed my cab, too bad he didn't phone me, I would have went to the shop to help. Anyways I am going to work on him tomorrow to try and get my way.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote