The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2004, 03:33 AM   #1
GMC1tondually4dr

CC dually lowering.

Has anyone here ever lowered a 1 ton 2wd crew cab dually that tows a 40 foot race car trailer. Trailer gross 15K, Truck gross 9K, 26K# total.

I think that I want to use bags. For adjustability and nice ride quality.

Should I put a dropped spindle in for a low front with the bags? Or just go with the bags and have front aligned a MY ride height.
(Am i wrong for assuming that a dropped spindle doesn't screw up the front end geometry, just moves the front end down and/or the wheel and tire up

I can fab up just about anything.

I know what I want to do with the front, plates, tube and Slam Spec. bags front and back

I have a few ideas for the rear. Fab up a 4 link type arrangement or a floating plate and big rectangle tube deal that attaches at the front spring hanger and the bags behind the axle w/ a sway bar. I was going to use 1.75x .250 wall cromemoly tubing for the 4 link deal. I have a big TIG welding set up.

I am not into the hopping thing or up and down type stuff or laying frame. I just like low trucks that's all. The truck will be at a lowered stance all the time. I could run with out a compressor. There is one in the trailer and the truck and trailer are always together

Just curious if anyone has done this type of setup on this type of truck. I am not afraid of the work involved, just would like to hear thoughts or see pictures if possible.

ART makes a bolt in type of setup but I know I can built one similar for a lot less. Thanks in advance.

I am going to be fabbing up my own exhaust system so I can snake the tubing where I can or have to

Can this post be sent to the Suspension forum, if so how?

Last edited by GMC1tondually4dr; 06-16-2004 at 03:41 AM.
GMC1tondually4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
SanitysBane

i would go with the ART setup personally
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

I just put my Western Chassis C-notch and flip kit on my dually. If you want to see some pics, email me and I'll some you some. The box is off the truck so you will be able to see what you are getting into. Toynova@aol.com
Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 AM   #4
GMC1tondually4dr

If I did a static drop I was going to use the Western stuff. Good quality and a good price at Macs Springs.
I like the look of the 5/7 deal.

I'm in the process of putting all new sheetmetal on the truck, waiting for new rockers then I'll be done. Box will be coming off the truck to do the rear susp. and to fab up a SS exhaust. Also alot easier to paint.

Then I put color (black w/ candy graphics) on it. Hopfully soon ,been jacking around with it for too long. Just takes time and money
Old 06-18-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
GMC1tondually4dr

Mines an '86 w/'91 front, not done.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:08 AM   #6
GMC1tondually4dr

I saw a one ton dually with "If it aint a 1 ton you aint Sh#T" lettered on the tailgate, I liked it.