The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
Custom 68

woohoo fired up the 327 with TPI ... but need help

Hey all it has been a long slow process but I am making headway on my truck. The body is off and in pieces so I installed the rebuilt 327 with a TPI. It is running and sounds great but it is running very rich. I know there is a few with TPI and any suggestions?
It is a MAF and I have a "?custom?" chip made. This may be my problem I dont know? I have the fuel pressure set at 43 or 45 and the timing correct. It starts and idles and revs very nice but it is pufffing lots of black gas smoke. Again it is the frame so I can not drive it. Any suggestions? I am going to contact the chip guy but wanted to know if there was anything else to check.
I am getting a MAF burn off relay code but have the others fixed.
Thanks
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

I am in the process of doing the tpi mod myself. I would like know what other problems/fixes you have ran into if you don't mind.

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International
sixty8c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

Are your injectors too big for the 327? I'm looking into installing a TPI on my 350 too, so I'd love to hear about the install as well
Old 06-19-2004, 08:18 AM   #4
Bowtie67

The stock injectors should be ok for a 327, where is the O2 sensor located and is it hooked up, if it's not hooked up it will run rich. If the O2 sensor is not in the manifold or just prior to a collector on a set of headers then the readings will be excessively slow and some what give false readings. A map sensors false reading can also cause richness as well as the temp sender for the computer, if it always says cold it will always give more fuel. Also for some reason I cant quite put my hand on my TPI swappers guide to check what the fuel pressure is supposed to be but I do believe it should be down around 35 - 38 PSI. I have often wondered about putting FI on a 283 or 327 to see how well they would perform and how gas milage would be. I'm think my next project will be a 283 or 302 w/FI in a 2dr car project. I am in the process of trying to talk this friend out of a 64 malibu that he doesnt have money to put back together.

What are the specs on the 327? heads, cam and Compression?
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
Custom 68

thanks guys

Here are the specs. have upgraded the injectors to 24 pound stock ones. (newer vette) The TPI setup is from a 1986 Corvette using the MAF as well
The engine is a 327 bored 0.06 over with approximately 9.7 to 1 compression. The heads are an older stock performance head casting number 461. They have 2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves. The cam is a Crane cam part number 114132. The crane site has the info with this part number. However it is lift at cam of 2934 at valve 440 intake and 3027 at valve 454 exhaust. the max lift is 109 ATDC duration of 210 intake and lift of 119 BTDC duration of 216 exhust. This is a computer friendly cam.
If you look at the crane site it has more info on the cam.

My fuel pressure is about 45 I do have an adjustable regulator so I can turn it down if necessary.
The O2 sensor is hooked up and the ecm indicates it is in close loop so it should be using the sensor. I am going to try a heated one since this one is just outside the collectors
I will continue to trouble shoot but just looking for things to look for.

Guy I will go over the install. I did all the harness work and stuff my self using a book and info off Chevy Thunder.com I will also post pictures.
Thanks
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 06-19-2004, 09:41 AM   #6
Bowtie67

Custom 68 and to all that are looking to go the FI way, one of the best things to help you figuring out problems would be a scanner that will actually show you what the readings are. With out this it is a hipshot about fixing things and could cost you way more money in the long run. Reading what code that has been set is not always the item to replace. Back in the mid eighties I went through all the GM training on Fuel Injection and I used to watch guys pull a code (O2 Sensor Code) and the first think they would do is replace the the O2 sensor and take a short ride and no codes would reset. A week later the car was back again with the O2 sensor code again. If you look at all the sensors from a known good setup and verify against a bad setup you will get to know where the settings should read and thus better troubleshoot the problem instead of throwing money at and getting frusted because you just spent $600 replacing all kinds of parts guessing what was gonna fix it, when the problem was only a vacuum leak that could have been easily fixed for $2.00 which is what caused the O2 sensor code from running lean.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
Custom 68

Yea Bowtie I am in just the begining stages of figuring it out. I just talked about the o2 sensor since it is aways from the head. I am just sooooo excited to get it running I know I can figure it out from here. I am sure we will compare notes again.
Thanks Dave