The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
Ehodg66

Is this another fuel gauge ground issue??

I've run 100 miles since my last fill up and my fuel gauge needle has only moved slightly.

It was initially a little further clockwise (see pic)but should be around 5/8 to 1/2 tank by now. I have noticed when I turn the key to on, the needle moves just slightly counter clockwise, so there is power.

I've read multiple threads on the subject referencing a bad ground at the tank and wasn't sure if this fell into that category.
I will not have time until the weekend to dive into it but just wanted to get some input and weigh all my options.

thanks in advance

I apololgize for the pic, I could not orient it correctly
Attached Images

Ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Is this another fuel gauge ground issue??

That is the normal full reading spot +/- a couple of needle widths. My original factory gauge would stay there for about 4~5 gallons usage. It would then fall fairly quickly to just under E. At that point I had about 3~4 gallons remaining in the tank. Since I had dual tanks, no worries about running one dry as long as I was sure the other was full. Both tanks reacted about the same. When that gauge developed the rapid bounce issue, I replaced it with a Pull-a-Part find. That gauge starts dropping far earlier as gas is used and when it reads E, I will be switching to the full tank fairly quickly.

The normal 'lost ground' place for that style gauge is pretty much 3 o'clock or parallel with the line of Unleaded Fuel text.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote