The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
conoco

Lights turn off

When I pull put my headlight switch the gauge cluster lights turn off. When it is pushed in the cluster lights turn back on. It's almost like it's working in reverse. All wired have power to them. The bulbs for my blinkers stay on. They still flash when they sre engaged but the actual bulb stays on when they are not engage also. The red light for my high beams stays on at all times also even with the high beams turned off. I have the key in the on position but not started, would that make a difference? I also have not cut or messed with any of the wires. Some of the dash bulbs will turn off when I put the socket in even though they have power to the circuit board. Is there a certain order the bulbs need to be put in? I am going to get all new bulbs today, I think a couple are bad. I still dont understand why everything turns off when the lights are engage though.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
raggedjim

Re: Lights turn off

Probably, and I do emphasis probably, a bad light switch. It's the weakest link.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Probably, and I do emphasis probably, a bad light switch. It's the weakest link.

Good luck, Rg
I just dont know, I bought a new light switch, I ended plugging the old one back in and its just doing the same thing. I bought a brand new circuit board and my test light shows all the circuits getting power. Maybe if I replace all the bulbs it will fix it. Thank u for the thoughts.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
raggedjim

Your marker lights and headlights should come on even if the key is not turned on. All this is assuming a stock harness. If someone has rewired something all bets are off. Now the ignition switch does disable some circuits when the ignition is in the crank position but it shouldn't in the on position. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to tell more. I'm thinking replacing bulbs is not going to help you.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Your marker lights and headlights should come on even if the key is not turned on. All this is assuming a stock harness. If someone has rewired something all bets are off. Now the ignition switch does disable some circuits when the ignition is in the crank position but it shouldn't in the on position. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to tell more. I'm thinking replacing bulbs is not going to help you.

Good luck, Rg
Your probably right. 2 of the bulbs were blown so I just gotta replace them anyway and I already have the cluster out. This morning I found the ground behind the dash and started testing each circuit again. With it disconnected. They worked better when the ground was disconnected than when it was hooked back up. Like I said all the circuits in the cluster have power and they all worked last week. I just dont understand why they turn off when I pull the light switch out. The dimmer and everything works it's just like the switch is working in reverse and I dont get it. All the wiring is original and looks good. Nothing spliced in or added. My low beams dont work . High beams do. It has the sealed beam so I will replace those. Its frustrating. Thanks for the help man.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
When I pull put my headlight switch the gauge cluster lights turn off. When it is pushed in the cluster lights turn back on. It's almost like it's working in reverse. All wired have power to them. The bulbs for my blinkers stay on. They still flash when they sre engaged but the actual bulb stays on when they are not engage also. The red light for my high beams stays on at all times also even with the high beams turned off. I have the key in the on position but not started, would that make a difference? I also have not cut or messed with any of the wires. Some of the dash bulbs will turn off when I put the socket in even though they have power to the circuit board. Is there a certain order the bulbs need to be put in? I am going to get all new bulbs today, I think a couple are bad. I still dont understand why everything turns off when the lights are engage though.
So you've started a THIRD THREAD on your dash light problems.. With all due respect sir, the more you work on this problem, the worse it gets, which leads me to believe you're in over your head.. It's my opinion that it's time to lay down the tools and take the truck to a knowledgeable automotive electrical person/shop....
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
MySons68C20

Headlight switches are less than $20.00....I would start there as suggested.

Okay, I see you bought one but did you install and test?

Last edited by MySons68C20; 03-09-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: New info
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
68 P.O.S.

First, you have to ensure ALL of the grounds are connected properly or weird things can happen. After your grounds are figured out, you're gonna have to trace all the wires, the printed circuit, dimmer switch, and the turn signal switch to make sure connections are complete with no issues and wiring is good to go. Replace wires as/if needed. Double check the headlight switch to make sure the harness is connected properly (re-plug it in again). Gotta love electrical gremlins smh.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Read through this thread. Yeah, I know it's 4 pages, but there is some important information in it....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=422234

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
rpmerf

To me, it sounds like a bad ground. The lights are grounding through the headlight switch when it is off. Once it turns on, the ground is no longer available.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote