The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
G8rN@te61

Shadetree Electrics

So years ago my uncle changed out the blown 235 with a Camaro 250 in my '61. When he did they disconnected the 3 on the tree and associated column wiring. All the wires are gone and he had a three way switch for the blinkers and a separate wire going back to each brake light. I don't know why but he had the truck wired all kinds of weird ways and it never worked right. So when I got the truck I completely went through it and changed all of the wiring up to the steering column with new harnesses. I had no brake lights but have blinkers, night lights etc. The brake hot originally went through the steering column harness and back to the rear lights. Since it uses the same two wires for the rear lights I cannot wire the brakes and blinkers to them simultaneously (using the three way) because when you turn on a blinker it cross feeds to the other blinker and makes them flashers.

So I rewired it to have brakes only but would like to figure out how to make the blinkers work without having to rebuild the column. I plan on doing this in the future for a frame off and replacing with an IDITIT. So wondering if I don't use one of this POS universal blinker kits thats straps on to the column and blocks everything and snags knuckles, is there some way to wire up the blinkers with a three way switch again?

Some kind of inline relay to keep the current from feeding across? I am sure someone has done something like this and would love some input!
thanks,
Nate
G8rN@te61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
rustyrodknocker

Re: Shadetree Electrics

A new turn signal switch would be the easiest that's its job. Not that hard to do. You can get a $13.00 external one if you don't want to pull the steering wheel.
They don't have a cancelling mechanism so you have to remember to turn off the blinker after a corner.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
G8rN@te61

I know its easy but I like I said don't want one on my column. I like the three way with it right under dash in front of gear shifter where I can easily flick it on and off. I am sure there is a solution that I am not thinking of.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
G8rN@te61

ok I figured out that I can add a simple relay to the brake wire or I found these options for those of you who may be interested:

https://kwikwire.com/turn-signal/

https://www.hotrodhardware.com/index...1249&mode=prod

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...-signal-switch
Old 03-16-2020, 12:32 AM   #5
Ennehazrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rN@te61 View Post
So wondering if I don't use one of this POS universal blinker kits thats straps on to the column and blocks everything and snags knuckles, is there some way to wire up the blinkers with a three way switch again?

Some kind of inline relay to keep the current from feeding across? I am sure someone has done something like this and would love some input!
thanks,
Nate
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Ennehazrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
G8rN@te61

Useful diagrams but they don't account for the fact that the brakes and turn signals use the same wires to tail lights. You would have to wire a whole new set of wires to operate separately unless you break the signal via a relay or complex switch.