The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2002, 05:07 PM   #1
Model 12

New engine swap question for the 72

Thanks to all that provided info on my "87 305 into the Cheyenne" question a couple of weeks ago.

New scenario: Have cheapie access to a running 84 305 Monte Carlo SS engine (L79?). It has 120k miles, but runs well...burns a quart every 1500 or so. I plan to use the engine "as-is", with my old flexplate, PS pump, alt, AC comp, distributor and ram horns. I think this is more straigtforward than that 87 engine was going to be.

I will probably put new umbrella stem seals on it first prior to install. Any other thoughts?

Remember, this is for a 6-12 month duration while the orig 350 gets fresh. Truck will be used to pull some loads occasionally (boat, mulch, wood).
Old 06-05-2002, 09:08 PM   #2
Gordo

Smile

I know it's only going in temporary but with the engine out it would be a good time to pull the timing cover, inspect timing chain, drop oil pan and clean out pan and sump screen. (IMO)
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 09:44 PM   #3
Dave66!

Angry Summit Racing blues

HEY evryone its been awhile love the new board but havent had time to visit it much lately
i finally got the 2 1/2" skyjacker lift on my 72 blazer love it ! the problem i had was getting the right kit from summit racing ! i dont know how many of you use them i have for several years and have never had a problem but i ordered the kit about a month ago i got the shocks right away the springs were on b/o a couple weeks later i got the springs then another week for the hardware kit no big deal thats part of the game
now i install the kit my front end sits about 3" higher than the rear so i called skyjacker they were very helpful they told me i had the wrong front springs the ones i received were for a 73 also missing from the hardware kit were the 7/16" sleeves for the spring bolts Skip at skyjacker sent me the correct sleeves(actually during the beginning of the install) so now i call summit at night i guess i got their after hours service cause the guy was real nice he said he would ship me the correct set of front springs and send a call tag to pick up the 73 springs I still figured this happens i didnt get to excited
after work the next day i thought i better check with skyjacker again if they sent one set of incorrect springs why not 2 bingo the only thing they got right on the order was the front shocks!
I was still in a fairly good mood all things considered I just imagined how good the old girl would ride after i was done
now the irate part i call summit and explain to Josh in cust service josh says there is no record of my calling about the front springs and they dont send call tags even though it was plainly their mistake the only way to get my springs acording to josh was to take theirs back off send them back at my expence and later be credited back or to pay for the whole system again not wanting to scream on the phone and being a good sheep i hung up the phone after about 3 minutes i realized id let them off way to easy i called summit back finally got good old josh again he was no more understanding this time in fact quite rude so i asked for his supervisor after 10 minutes on hold old josh came back with a different attitude said his supervisor was busy but he ok'd sending the correct parts finally after a good hour on the phone i was taken care of i tried to explain to josh that i wasnt trying to be a richard noggin but it was their mistake and i was going to have to r&r the springs twice on me he unsympathetically replied lets just leave it as it is your getting what you wanted
i think josh needs a new job not that i would want his!

SORRY SO LONG WINDED BUT I NEEDED TO GET THIS OFF MY CHEST

thanks to you who read this far
Old 06-05-2002, 10:16 PM   #4
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Question

litte off topic?
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 11:12 PM   #5
70shortnphat
"See the U.S.A....."

If its only temporary i wouldnt do anything. If you drive it less than 1500 miles a month and use it for only a year then you will only burn 12 quarts of oil in that year. Install as is and buy an extra case of oil. save the gaskets, seals, and timing chain ect. for the engine you realy want.
Richmond , Texas(just S.W.of Houston)
70shortnphat is offline   Reply With Quote