The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
conoco

Edelbrock total power package 338HP thoughts

I am ready to order my top end kit and was just reaching out to see if anyone else has installed one of these or similar. I think the 338HP is all I need. I have a truck and just want it for smooth highway driving and towing a little bit during the summer fishing season. I mainly need input on the cam. Would this be good for my needs, or should I buy everything individually and get a different cam? any suggestions? I do want power but doesn't have to be over kill, I don't care about the sound, I have long tube headers and I think all these old truck sound good already. Any input would be great. I attached the cam specs and everything else. Thanks everyone.

If there is another top end kit someone is currently running and really like it i would like the suggestion.
Attached Images

conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
jimijam00

Re: Edelbrock total power package 338HP thoughts

You don't need that package for "smooth highway driving". All you need is a good tune up on what you have in there now.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
Rick Bollinger

Conoco I have that very kit. I got mine during the promotion with a free carb. I was going to put it on my 350 but decided to do a completely new motor. now I am doing a 383 with this kit. The machine shop that's putting it together said it will be a great combo very drivable even on 87 gas. A little over 400 hp and around 450 torque is what he is estimating. I changed my mind about my 350 because I didn't know what pistons are in it and what compression I would end up with. It is a good ol 350 moderate power no smoke and very smooth so I figured I would just sell it as a good running 350. I looked over all my parts when they came in and the only issue was one of the lifters looked as if it was dropped on the edge. Called Summit they sent out a whole new camshaft kit right away. I am supper excited about the kit and am looking forward to April when my motor will be done. The whole 383 short block put together with my top end dyno tested and broke in $2500. So about $4000 total in my 383. I know this is more than you were asking but just sharing options.
Rick
Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bollinger View Post
Conoco I have that very kit. I got mine during the promotion with a free carb. I was going to put it on my 350 but decided to do a completely new motor. now I am doing a 383 with this kit. The machine shop that's putting it together said it will be a great combo very drivable even on 87 gas. A little over 400 hp and around 450 torque is what he is estimating. I changed my mind about my 350 because I didn't know what pistons are in it and what compression I would end up with. It is a good ol 350 moderate power no smoke and very smooth so I figured I would just sell it as a good running 350. I looked over all my parts when they came in and the only issue was one of the lifters looked as if it was dropped on the edge. Called Summit they sent out a whole new camshaft kit right away. I am supper excited about the kit and am looking forward to April when my motor will be done. The whole 383 short block put together with my top end dyno tested and broke in $2500. So about $4000 total in my 383. I know this is more than you were asking but just sharing options.
Rick
That's great, that is just what I need to hear, I have read hundreds of reviews for this set up and it seems 80% really like it, the other 20% were just whining about stupid stuff. I was already leaning towards getting it. My truck runs great right now and I'm sure it will run even smoother with this kit. Thank you for your thoughts I appreciate it!! I will find some nice rockers to match, I am also looking at the " Gilmer Pulley Kit" I have read some fantastic reviews on this set up and it really doesn't cost much. I just upgraded my intermediate steering shaft also. I got rid of the Rag Joint and replaced the entire shaft with u joints and a collapsible shaft, its crazy how much of a difference it has made. Thank again for the input.
Attached Images

conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
External

I am putting this back to the top to see if there are other things people might add..
I also am looking at purchasing a kit like this.

If anyone has any suggestions. Please advise.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #6

These are good kits. The cam is a good size for a 350. The 114 lsa will make it idle smooth and give u what u want. Look at your current pistons.they need to have a 9.1 compression. This will make the dish shallow on the piston for this compression. Remember to use a zinc supplement to your oil. If not and u will wipe the cam lobe. U won't need a big carb. A 600 cfm will b enough and help mileage. U will have vacuum to run brakes with no problem. If u look at the 330hp gm crate motor, u will find some similarites. Best of luck. Glad the steering worked out better than u may have thought.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #7
toolboxchev

I will put this out there, the more experienced on this site would agree, there are better cams out there.

Comp Cams SK kits come with hardened cam. Comp's Combos are comparable to the Edelbrock Lineup.

If I were going to do an older block again and had the money, invest into a Retro Roller camshaft and lifters. You can get more effective duration out of it, without the wear and flattened lobe issues. Your choice of motor oil will determine this. VR-1 has proved very worthy to me. The roller cam will give you 30 percent reduction in friction. This means more power.

Engine building is supposed to be fun. If you really get into every detail, you could build a much better setup for the money.

Start some reading here: https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...ategory:Engine
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
71gmcC15

Would it work on a 307? Asking for a friend.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gmcC15 View Post
Would it work on a 307? Asking for a friend.
Everything will bolt up but being aluminum heads it won't add much weight so depending on the size of your boat it may just drag across the bottom of the lake.

Ok, just joking I actually like the 307 but they are not worth rebuilding from a financial perspective. Also I don't think the 2.02 valves are going to work with a 307 bore.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
71gmcC15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Everything will bolt up but being aluminum heads it won't add much weight so depending on the size of your boat it may just drag across the bottom of the lake.

Ok, just joking I actually like the 307 but they are not worth rebuilding from a financial perspective. Also I don't think the 2.02 valves are going to work with a 307 bore.
Ya I know I was joking. Although my 307 has been rebuilt. Its probably the only one that's has. Haha
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #11
Minkota

I just purchased (02/28/20) a brand new 1906 carb and it had a crack in the main body, after some frustrating calls to edelbrock they finally took it back and sent me a new one. The new one does not have a crack but is not much better.

I have always been a Holley guy and will never buy another edelbrock again.
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote