The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Keith6987

Driver side front spring “cage”

Do all first gen Blazers have this additional piece welded on the front driver side spring mount. I am installing aftermarket springs that have the double wrap front eye. I had heard it was an added safety, so I hate to cut it off. But... the spring won’t fit with this plate on there. Any opinions?
Attached Images

Keith6987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Richard

Re: Driver side front spring “cage”

Not sure if on all years. Both of my 72 trucks and also my dads 72 had that. There should also be a piece that bolts to the frame behind the shackle. Believe it is to locate the spring and still allow steering control if the spring eye or shackle bolt breaks.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:31 AM   #3
Keith6987

Thanks Richard, I had to cut it off. There was just no way to line up the holes. I may fabricate a replacement with proper clearance. -Keith
Old 04-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
hemi43

My 1970 doesn't have that. I heard they were a safety item in case the spring bolt failed. This is another reason I added an anti-sway bar. The anti-sway bar will prevent the axle assembly from shifting in case any of the 4 spring bolts should fail.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
Keith6987

hemi43 Mine is a 69, but the cage looked like it might have been added later? The welds didn’t look that great. Tell me more about your sway bar set up. This would be a good time for me to add one. I have heard you mention before it helps a lot with steering issues. -Keith

Last edited by Keith6987; 04-12-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
jimmy70

A friend of mine that assembled these in 71/72 Flint assembly plant said this was a safety prevention used in case your leaf spring broke / you could still steer your vehicle. This bracket is only on driver side / ps gear box side for late 71 all 72 years.
jimmy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith6987 View Post
hemi43 Mine is a 69, but the cage looked like it might have been added later? The welds didn’t look that great. Tell me more about your sway bar set up. This would be a good time for me to add one. I have heard you mention before it helps a lot with steering issues. -Keith
Hey Keith;
I'm sure everyone is sick and tired of hearing me praising caster shims and sway bars, but it made such a HUGE difference I can't help but pass on this information.
I used a 73'up front sway bar for a donor truck as well as the caps that sit on top of the springs that the U-bolts go through. You can use the original caps, but they will have to be drilled and tapped for the sway bar bolts.
I used my original 1970 front crossmember, but If I had to do it over again I would use the 73' and up crossmember because it is slightly different where the sway bar pivots mount, and is pre-drilled for the mounts that hold the urethane bushings.
I think the reason the sway bar makes such a huge difference is that it holds the front axle rigidly in position and prevents it from moving around on bumpy roads. Without the sway bar all you're relying on is the the front springs.
Another bonus is safety. If a front spring mounting bolt, or if the spring eye ever broke (I've seen this happen), the axle would move backwards and without a doubt the wheel would jam up and flip the truck. Scary as hell!
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
litebulblsc

I have seen it mentioned that it being added was the reason for the 72 extreme bend tow hooks
litebulblsc is online now   Reply With Quote