The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2020, 03:45 AM   #1
Big70

Drive line issue...

So I just had a Drive line built that my driveline guy told me to pull the yoke out of the transmission tail shaft an inch and get a measurement center to center. well now my driveline yolk is out an inch and a half from the transmission tail shaft do you guys think that’s gonna be a problem? Just a heads up it’s a TH 400 the truck was a long bed went to short bed then went to a single piece drive line everything looks good it’s just I’m not sure about the yoke being out an inch and a half.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:01 AM   #2
Richard

Re: Drive line issue...

To get to worst case scenario. Jack it up by the frame until axle is hanging. As long as slip yoke is still engaged (about 1") you should be fine. Typically the yoke will be halfway out at ride height.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
Killer Bee

first thing I would do is ask the driveline shop if they subtracted the 1/2" from your unladen measurement to compenate for the axle range of motion from full droop to full collapse or it was a mistake..

range of motion must accommodate full droop as described above where the yoke is farthest from the trans to full collapse on the bump stops where the yoke is closest to the trans..

if you've made extensive modifications to the chassis and suspension, might even be a better idea to drive it by the shop and have them take a look on the vehicle..

comparing stock dimensions or even other modified dimensions to your custom dimensions may not yield ideal results..

good luck!
Old 04-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
kaycee

Here what I do ,vehicle at ride heigth, ramps or stands under suspension,shove the front yoke in until it bottoms out in trans, mark it pull back 1".measure from center of yoke to back of center yoke(pinion).This will work as long as you have the right front yoke it has worked on the 4 vehicles I have done drivelines on
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Sheepdip

My local driveline shop which has built me numerous drivelines over the years has always had me measure the differential to tranny yoke u-joint centerlines all the way in with the weight of the vehicle on the axles, they then do the math.

I also provide them with a drawing of those dimension's showing where I measured from centerline to centerline. I also always include just for their info on those drawings a dimension from the rear u-joint centerline to the ground and same for the tranny yoke.

Never a hiccup, always a perfect fit and function.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:47 PM   #6
Big70

Thank you guys for the great info! Does any one any one know how long the yoke that slides into a th400? that way i know how deep it is in the tail shaft with out unbolting it. also what is the easiest way to post pics on here??
Old 04-19-2020, 12:52 AM   #7
randy500
Account Suspended

Dont worry about the length....you will need to switch over to a 2 piece driveshaft after the first large bump you hit when the driveshaft contacts the crossmember.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #8
Big70

I was worried about that to but it looks good in the cross member and didn’t a lot of short beds come with one piece drivelines?