The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
71jimmy

Got my bikini today......

but I need to shave my back before I post any pictures LOL

Just received my new bikini top from TonyP. It looks very nice and can't wait to get it on the Jimmy. Has anyone else ordered one from TonyP? Anyone received it yet?

I ordered mine with snaps. Does anyone have info on how to install the snaps? How many to use? Location of the snaps on the side/end of the top? etc etc etc.

I had an old fiberglass top I cut up, it was beat, couldn't give it away, that I cut the front header that hooks to the winshield frame off of. I'm thinking of mounting the snaps to it. It may take me awhile to do this but I will post pictures when done.

Later

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Sweet, glad you got it. Mine should be here anyday. I would recommend looking a some pics of Blazers with the snap tops and duplicate the number and placement. We assumed most people would already have a soft top so placing the snaps on the bikini would be simple. I will see if I can come up with a few pics for you.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Here are some instructions I found on a site (http://www.kaylinetops.com), but it doesn't say how many snaps to install. I will find that out hopefully.

Find and mark center line on top of windshield frame. Mark and drill 1/8" hole at this point centered between vertical flange and rear of flat area at top of windshield frame (approximately 3/8”). See figure 4-B. Install 3/8" sheet metal screw stud (Item 17). Snap front center snap to stud just installed. Front of vinyl top should be against rear of vertical flange at windshield frame. Continue installing sheet metal screw studs in windshield frame, alternating from left to right of center line. To avoid wrinkles, gently pull top to the side, marking and drilling holes in windshield frame using position of snaps on vinyl top as a guide. Continue this process across the top
snapping each snap to each stud as you go. One stud will be installed on the windshield bracket. Mark and drill 1/8’ hole. Install stud and snap top to stud. See figure 4-B.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
71jimmy

Thanks for the tips YJ, makes sense to start from the center and work out.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
michigank5

Well, 27 of those snaps come with the Snap Top kit, 8 get used on the tailgate and I know 3 get used on each corner of the windshield frame, so I'd guess about 13 go accross the top of the windshield frame, but that seems a bit excessive.
michigank5 is offline   Reply With Quote