The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
WB72
Before and After

Air ride component placement.

Hey Guys,
In my searching, I couldn't find anything recent that might help me out with the placement of my compressors, tank, manifold and second battery.

My plan is to mount all components under my raised bed.

I have placed my battery on the passenger side at the front of the bed, my tank is next to it basically in the center front.

My dilemma is mainly, how far away should the compressors be from the tank? They come with a short hose, but would like to be able to place them farther away than the stock hose allows. I have the ability to make high pressure hoses at any length. Would I be able to place both compressors about 4'-6' away (I want to put them on the frame rail behind the axle on both sides of the blazer tank)?
Attached Images

66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
66grocerygetter

Re: Air ride component placement.

I do t see any problem mounting the compressor further away if you’re able to make lines to run to it.
66grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

The only thing I see that might be a problem with a longer line between the tank and compressors is that the hose at times be noticeably cooler at the tank end than the compressor end. (The longer the line the bigger the temperature difference would be.) In itself not a problem but there would be a tendency for moisture to condense as the air travels through the hose and it cools. Cool weather and high humidity would make this worse. You will need to make sure that there isn't any way for the moisture to flow back into the compressor(s) when they are off. It won't take much water to hydro lock the piston in the compressor.
Avoid having low spots to that will collect water and try to have the hoses run down hill from the compressor to the tank. Remember that hard acceleration, braking, and cornering could cause water to flow into the compressor when laying out your piping.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
WB72
Before and After

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The only thing I see that might be a problem with a longer line between the tank and compressors is that the hose at times be noticeably cooler at the tank end than the compressor end. (The longer the line the bigger the temperature difference would be.) In itself not a problem but there would be a tendency for moisture to condense as the air travels through the hose and it cools. Cool weather and high humidity would make this worse. You will need to make sure that there isn't any way for the moisture to flow back into the compressor(s) when they are off. It won't take much water to hydro lock the piston in the compressor.
Avoid having low spots to that will collect water and try to have the hoses run down hill from the compressor to the tank. Remember that hard acceleration, braking, and cornering could cause water to flow into the compressor when laying out your piping.
Great advice, maybe I should run a intentional high spot, like the reverse of a drain under the sink. Would this be a good idea?
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

That is a good idea. The closer to the compressor(s) the better.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
ImNoSpaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB72 View Post
Hey Guys,
In my searching, I couldn't find anything recent that might help me out with the placement of my compressors, tank, manifold and second battery.

My plan is to mount all components under my raised bed.

I have placed my battery on the passenger side at the front of the bed, my tank is next to it basically in the center front.

My dilemma is mainly, how far away should the compressors be from the tank? They come with a short hose, but would like to be able to place them farther away than the stock hose allows. I have the ability to make high pressure hoses at any length. Would I be able to place both compressors about 4'-6' away (I want to put them on the frame rail behind the axle on both sides of the blazer tank)?
I put everything behind the seat. If you don't have the gas tank there anymore, and don't plan on putting speakers back there, everything fits including battery. I used an Optima to be safer. I would post pictures, but I'm a bit embarrassed of what system I bought.

Compressor is behind drivers seat kinda in the vacant pocket behind the back edge of door (the part you can get your hand in the feel the door latch plate), then tank, then battery, then on the pass side, the cpu and valve block are on a vertical mount kinda inside that vacant space. The stainless air lines go straight down from there under the cab. Now that I think about it, if my trans and engine computers were not mounted between the battery and air valves, there would be room for 2 speakers depending on the size of air tank you use.
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

How do you deal with all that noise coming from right behind the seat?
Old 04-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #8
ImNoSpaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
How do you deal with all that noise coming from right behind the seat?
It's not bad. The only time I hear it is when it needs air. The only time it needs air is when the poorly designed plungers in the solenoids allow air to escape through the exhaust port. The truck is still not road worthy, but later I might find a way to isolate the compressor with a sound proof bag or something?

Right now, it's really no louder than an airbrush compressor, which is what it basically is!
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

My compressor and tank are underneath my Burban, mounted behind the fuel tank, on rubber isolation mounts and it is still too loud for me.