The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
GR5

Ramp truck questions

Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in building/buying a ramp truck to haul my vintage race car. I have a few rookie questions that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

Can I make a ramp truck out of a C20 or is that silly and I should really start with a C30?

Are all C30's duallys and alternatively, were C20's ever duallys? I'm assuming the answer to the second question is no, just making sure.

Did the C30's come in different wheel bases? If so I assume the longer wheelbase is preferred for a ramp truck?

I know these are novice questions, but I'm just getting started so I apologize.

Thanks,

Mike
GR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Ramp truck questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR5 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in building/buying a ramp truck to haul my vintage race car. I have a few rookie questions that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

Can I make a ramp truck out of a C20 or is that silly and I should really start with a C30?

Are all C30's duallys and alternatively, were C20's ever duallys? I'm assuming the answer to the second question is no, just making sure.

Did the C30's come in different wheel bases? If so I assume the longer wheelbase is preferred for a ramp truck?

I know these are novice questions, but I'm just getting started so I apologize.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome to the board!

No apologies needed. All of us had to start at the bottom and work our way up.

Yes, you would need to start with a C30. There were actually a few single rear wheel C30's built but you don't see them much in the '67-'72 trucks. I am not 100% sure on the C20 Dually's so I will let someone else handle that question.

The dual rear wheel C30's came as 133" and 157" cab and chassis trucks. I don't know if any came longer than 157" or not. You would need the 157" wheel base for a ramp truck. There are pictures of them on the board if you type "ramp truck" into the Google search box above, click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and click on the Google button pictures and threads on them will come up. Make sure the thread you are reading is the years you are interested in.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

It's faster /easier/ less expensive to buy a rebuildable ramp truck . they are out there just start looking . No you can't use a c-20 ,You'll need the longest wheel base and duals . Check out the (Dirt track racing guys} web sites and you'll find one .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
GR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Welcome to the board!

No apologies needed. All of us had to start at the bottom and work our way up.

Yes, you would need to start with a C30. There were actually a few single rear wheel C30's built but you don't see them much in the '67-'72 trucks. I am not 100% sure on the C20 Dually's so I will let someone else handle that question.

The dual rear wheel C30's came as 133" and 157" cab and chassis trucks. I don't know if any came longer than 157" or not. You would need the 157" wheel base for a ramp truck. There are pictures of them on the board if you type "ramp truck" into the Google search box above, click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and click on the Google button pictures and threads on them will come up. Make sure the thread you are reading is the years you are interested in.

LockDoc
Thank you, this is good information. I figured the C30 was the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
It's faster /easier/ less expensive to buy a rebuildable ramp truck . they are out there just start looking . No you can't use a c-20 ,You'll need the longest wheel base and duals . Check out the (Dirt track racing guys} web sites and you'll find one .
I agree it would be less expensive and easier, no question. If I find one that checks all the boxes I would for sure go that route.

Thanks for the tip on the dirt track guys. I didn't even think about that.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
GR5

I came across this picture while searching today. This would be just about perfect for what I need. Plenty of storage. I wish it was for sale.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

From a thread a couple of months ago. Could still be available?

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=797711
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote