The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
Warbones
Navel Inspector

Lowering your truck with springs.

Is there a place where I could read what is involved in this process? I am wanting to lower my truck a little and could use some help on how it's done.

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
chevroletrucks

I bought my kit from lmc which consisted of shorter springs front and rear. 2" drop was what was advertised, the installation was simple and it looks noticably lower although my body isnt sitting on it yet. It seemed like the way to go to me, I wanted to be able to drive it and still have some kind of ride while getting a fresh look. I think these trucks sat too tall new.
chevroletrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:13 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

All you gotta do is....do it. The rear is easier than the front (doh!). There is a bolt on the bottom of the rear trailing arm for each rear spring. The bolt holds a retainer for the spring. Take the wheel off and you can see it. Once the bolts are out, you should be able to lower the arm and remove the spring.

On the front, you gotta take the control arm loose and lower it away from the spring to allow it to be replaced. There are spring compressors that you should use to compress and contain the coil spring, before you remove it. Ditto for installing the new one. Failure to control the spring could find your face becoming severly pummeled by the suddenly accelerating spring! This is not a good situation.

If you have never done this before, I'd suggest watching someone, first. Then, make sure you have someone to assist you.

I used ECE components, dropping the front with spindles and stock springs. I shoulda dropped it another inch in the front and two more in the back. Live and learn!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote