The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
pilotXC

Steering Wonder

I have a 72 K20 and the steering has always been a bit loose, but when I first got it 4 years ago I replaced all the tie rod ends and drag link joints with Moog parts and installed a new steering gear. It was still a little loose, especially on the highway, but I don't drive it much and thought it was just an old truck and not an issue.
I did an engine swap on it and the alignment was off again, so I brought it to get aligned and they said the steering gear was missing a bushing from the output shaft and thats why my wheel had so much play. I brought the gear back to where I got it and they rebuilt it for me and I just reinstalled it. It's a little better, but there is still some wonder and loose wheel play, even when parked and the truck off the wheel will go back and forth a couple inches each direction.
Am I crazy or should it be really tight, like very little play when parked and engine off? I'd love it if it was tighter, but not sure if the column has adjustment or parts that could be worn as well?
Any help or advice would be great, thank you.
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Steering Wonder

I would have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you watch the rag joint for play. Then continue down the linkage watching for components that have slack in them.
Lastly I would check your wheel bearings for too much play.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

How about posting some pics of the steering linkage? We internet sleuths just may see something helpful.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
pilotXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I would have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you watch the rag joint for play. Then continue down the linkage watching for components that have slack in them.
Lastly I would check your wheel bearings for too much play.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
I've done that and the output shaft on the steering gear has some flex and a bit in the drag link joints. I assume a little is normal, no way that many pivots and have it completely flex free, but I'm not sure either. I haven't driven one with a really tight steering system to compare. Modern cars are so tight, it's hard to know what's just part of a 48 year old truck and what is worn or sloppy parts.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #5
dmjlambert

I understand what you mean about having nothing to compare to. Mine does not wander the road at all, and it is rock steady going down the road. Here is the amount of play it has. This is with power steering and engine off. The wheels
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
truckster

The steering box itself also has an adjustment. It's an allen head on the top of the box with a locknut. Turn it right to tighten it and left to loosen. Go slowly - it's really easy to overtighten them.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotXC View Post
I've done that and the output shaft on the steering gear has some flex and a bit in the drag link joints. I assume a little is normal, no way that many pivots and have it completely flex free, but I'm not sure either. I haven't driven one with a really tight steering system to compare. Modern cars are so tight, it's hard to know what's just part of a 48 year old truck and what is worn or sloppy parts.
There shouldn't be any flex at the steering gear or the drag link joints. The suspension of vehicles like our trucks should be just as tight as a modern vehicle. The difference between them and today's vehicles is the newer vehicle will be quieter and have a smoother feeling. But there shouldn't be any difference in how they track down the road.
It is likely your steering system has a lot of components with small amounts of excessive wear on them. All the small amounts of play in each component is adding up to give you the play in the wheel and the wandering on the highway.
You could take the truck into a shop specializing in front end repair and have them give you an inspection and detailed quote for repairs. This should give you some piece of mind as to what exactly the problem is and how to repair. Also there are lots of how to check steering videos on the web. A front wheel drive ball joint or tie rod check will be the same for your truck.
Personally I would be suspect of the steering box after the problem you experienced with the rebuilt steering box. That would not make me very confident in the whole rebuild of the steering box.

Last edited by HO455; 05-06-2020 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Grammer IS important.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
pilotXC

I did check the tie rod ends and ball joints and everything is tight, here are videos of the steering wheel when the engine is off and of the steering gear and pitman arm when the engine is on.

https://youtu.be/XbeXbPGKt0g

https://youtu.be/RjTJi5SbVWU
Old 05-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Have you tried jacking one wheel at a time and checking for play? Grab the wheel at 3:00 & 9:00 then wiggle and repeat the same movements at 12:00 & 6:00.
I will admit that my 09 Dodge 2500 has a tendency to wander also. I put it down to the lift and the 12.50 35 18 tires.

See this on checking for play.

https://youtu.be/6M2D_XtuXZQ

Last edited by HO455; 05-06-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotXC View Post
I did check the tie rod ends and ball joints and everything is tight, here are videos of the steering wheel when the engine is off and of the steering gear and pitman arm when the engine is on.

https://youtu.be/XbeXbPGKt0g

https://youtu.be/RjTJi5SbVWU
It is hard to be sure from the video but it looks like there might be some side to side movement of the output shaft. What ratio steering box do you have?
Old 05-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
pilotXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Have you tried jacking one wheel at a time and checking for play? Grab the wheel at 3:00 & 9:00 then wiggle and repeat the same movements at 12:00 & 6:00.
I will admit that my 09 Dodge 2500 has a tendency to wander also. I put it down to the lift and the 12.50 35 18 tires.

See this on checking for play.

https://youtu.be/6M2D_XtuXZQ
Yes, I did that on both front wheels and no wiggle on either side. I'm going to bring it back to the place that rebuilt the gear and have them take a look and go from there.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #12
Boog
laying low

Toe out can cause wondering.

Also that is a solid axle front end and will drive a little differently than an independent front suspension.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #13
pilotXC

They said a little flex in the output shaft is normal and needle bearings have a larger tolerance than a bushing, they said if it's not leaking and it drives ok, not much they could do. It's definitely a lot better than it was, but was hoping for a bit better feel. Gonna get an alignment and see if that helps.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
HO455
Post Whore

How old are the spring shackles? Loose bushings in the spring shackles along with worn pins can also make a truck want to wander around the road. I would jack the front end up throw some jack stands under the frame with the front axle hanging, try to push the axle from side to side and forward and back. It there is a bunch of play it's time for some pins and bushings.