The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
fb111ewo

AAW wiring harness kit - need some quick advice

I need some advice on a couple of issues, and would appreciate any help. I bought an AAW wiring kit (classic update kit for 67-68 Chevy -510333). Hopefully, I'll be at the point soon to start rewiring. Looking at the instructions, most of them are pretty clear and don't seem to be an issue. Where I need advice is on two issues:

1. My steering column turn signal connector is curved, and the connector in AAW's kit is flat. Do I need to cut off my connector and re-wire using their connector (as AAW suggests). Or is there an adaptor from curved to flat that will allow me to do a plug and play option?

2. Mega fuse location. I understand the need for the mega fuses, but where have other people mounted these in their engine compartment? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
fb111ewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
thehata1

Re: AAW wiring harness kit - need some quick advice

1) There is an adapter to go from curved to flat. https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72...iABEgJcy_D_BwE

2) Can't help. Good luck!
thehata1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
NorCalC20LWB

Just finished the Classic Update kit myself. First, here's a pic of where I put the mega fuse. Second, the kit has a flat connector for the column wires, you will need to cut the wires from the curved connector and crimp new ends on the wires, very easy. The instructions are super easy to follow. On a side note, check the wires coming out of the column going to the existing curved connector, mine were shot and had bare wire exposed, cannot believe I was not blowing fuses, or even worse, had an electrical fire. I bought a new column harness, or turn signal harness, whatever it's called, and threw the old one away. As posted above, I guess you can buy a new harness that already has the flat connector, but making your own is a piece of cake too. Also, I really don't like nor feel comfortable working with wiring, and I was able to rewire the whole truck. So have fun, and if you run into a problem AAW has great customer service, or tech support.

Good luck
Brian
Attached Images

NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
68 P.O.S.

I have the 69-72 classic update kit in my truck. For the turn signal connector, I reused the original curved just because I don't like the look of the flat one. For the mega fuse, that must be a newer update because I don't remember my kit coming with one.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
68 P.O.S.

Thanks for the pic Brian...now I know for sure my kit didn't come with the mega fuse. Instead, it uses fusible links.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
fb111ewo

Brian,
Thanks for the information and pictures! Your location for the Mega Fuse is probably where I will install mine. I didn't know if there would be enough room there once everything was put back together. Your Steering Column turn signal connectors look great. I have a little more issue with mine. The colors on the connector from AAW are easy to identify. My curved connector colors are a little different. I don't know if it is a direct location to location pin swap or not. I got the column from Les (70shortfleet), so maybe I'll ask him to confirm. I've attached the two pictures on the AAW connector versus my curved connector. Thanks again to you Brian, and everyone else who has responded.
THANKS!!
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
NorCalC20LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Thanks for the pic Brian...now I know for sure my kit didn't come with the mega fuse. Instead, it uses fusible links.
68, I believe the instructions mention an older version and a newer version of the kit, maybe the older one did not use the mega fuse? Would guess it would be pretty simple to switch out the fusible link for the mega fuse. Think they said if you have an AAW sticker on the fuse box you have the newer version. Sticker is below the relay. Pic attached:
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
NorCalC20LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb111ewo View Post
Brian,
Thanks for the information and pictures! Your location for the Mega Fuse is probably where I will install mine. I didn't know if there would be enough room there once everything was put back together. Your Steering Column turn signal connectors look great. I have a little more issue with mine. The colors on the connector from AAW are easy to identify. My curved connector colors are a little different. I don't know if it is a direct location to location pin swap or not. I got the column from Les (70shortfleet), so maybe I'll ask him to confirm. I've attached the two pictures on the AAW connector versus my curved connector. Thanks again to you Brian, and everyone else who has responded.
THANKS!!
FB, if you look closely the colors are the same. The existing curved connector wires were black/white instead of solid white, and black/yellow instead of solid yellow. Hard to see when up under the dash, but more apparent after you yank it out at see it under a light. You prob have seen this on the instructions already, but I'll post it up anyway. Section G of the kit.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
fb111ewo

Brian, Thanks again. I do have those instructions and will have to look at the wires more closely on my curved connector. I do appreciate your help and quick response!
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 05-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
LS short box

Another option is you could "de-pin" the wires from your curved connector and then plug them into the AAW flat connector
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
fun in dirt

Yes, the mega fuse is now being used by AAW. As someone else stated the older kits had a fusible link that was a much cleaner install. Last year I ordered a Builder series kit for our '55 gasser build & it came with the mega fuse too. There was just not a good location for it (very big & bulky) so I called their tech line and they sent me the fusible link, like in older kits, to use instead - free of charge! Tech guy confirmed that fusible link is fine for vehicles with minimal accessories. But when you get into adding a/c, power seats, power windows and a lot of all that type stuff combined together, a mega fuse is a better option & why they now put that with the kits.
I have rewired 4 different vehicles using AAW & love them - always knowledgeable tech support that will help you work out any questions.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #12
fb111ewo

Interesting.. I may try and contact AAW and see if I can get a fusible link as well. The Mega fuse is ok, but I would rather have a cleaner look, and am not running anything except stock (other than HEI).

I've also looked at my connector again, and although somewhat more of an issue, I've been able to determine the color for each of the wires. Attached is a photo that I made for reference. Again, thanks to all for each comment and suggestions!
Attached Images