The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
BAMM71

Cylinder Lock Issues

I've got a 71 C10 that the ignition key is a PITA. It just doesn't want to play nice and takes a couple gentle proddings to finally get home. Once there, turns over like a dream.

I ordered a new lock cylinder, removed old one, put in the new one and it won't turn to the right to click in place. Well, I figured I may have ordered the wrong cylinder..they're 5-10 bucks depending on the shop. Original was from LMC and then I ordered another from RockAuto (ACDelco) and the same issue. Put the old cylinder in and it's good to go. Any ideas where I've gone wrong? It's not the end of the world but would be nice to be able to just jump in and go!
BAMM71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Cylinder Lock Issues

-
This is one of those things that is hard to diagnose without being there to try it, some of the new cheap ignition lock cylinders are pretty crappy as far as fit, but the Delco should be pretty close to an OEM one. All of the lock cylinders are the same from '67-'72. Did you try pushing in on the new cylinder as you turned it to the right to lock it in? Are you sure the new ones are seating all the way down into the switch? Check the old one closely to see how far it sits down into the bezel before you take it out and then compare that to the new ones when you insert them.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
maverickmk

At the risk of highjacking, I have tried to remove my ignition cylinder and the key just pulls out. It even does this when it's running. Suggestions?

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
toolboxchev

To me, after having to do this one too many times, It sounds like the ignition switch is going bad.

GMCPauls has those and their service is great!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmk View Post
At the risk of highjacking, I have tried to remove my ignition cylinder and the key just pulls out. It even does this when it's running. Suggestions?

Just put the key in the ignition and "gently" turn it as far to the LEFT as it will go. Insert a straightened paper clip in the hole (the large ones work best) and push the release pin down (go easy here, it doesn't take much pressure at all) and turn the cylinder to the LEFT a little more. As you turn the cylinder you have to remove the paper clip or it will bind in the hole. The cylinder should pull out. You should not have to force anything.

If you are sure the cylinder is over to the left far enough to remove it and the key pulls out use a small "O" ring pick to pull the cylinder out. You might have to wiggle it a little bit. The key does not have to be in it at this point.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-13-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
maverickmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Just put the key in the ignition and "gently" turn it as far to the LEFT as it will go. Insert a straightened paper clip in the hole (the large ones work best) and push the release pin down (go easy here, it doesn't take much pressure at all) and turn the cylinder to the left a little more. As you turn the cylinder you have to remove the paper clip or it will bind in the hole. The cylinder should pull out. You should not have to force anything.

If you are sure the cylinder is over to the left far enough to remove it and the key pulls out use a small "O" ring pick to pull the cylinder out. You might have to wiggle it a little bit.
Perfect, thanks, I will give that a shot.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
BAMM71

Leon,

Thanks for the reply. I tried again and gave it a little nudge but it still wouldn't turn into place. I took a picture, I'll try to upload it tonight. I cant see a difference between the two new locks and the old one but maybe your eye will catch something.

Any thoughts on cleaning the one I have? Lots of guys saying using a little graphite in there but I don't want to position myself where I need to replace the whole module.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMM71 View Post
Leon,

Thanks for the reply. I tried again and gave it a little nudge but it still wouldn't turn into place. I took a picture, I'll try to upload it tonight. I cant see a difference between the two new locks and the old one but maybe your eye will catch something.

Any thoughts on cleaning the one I have? Lots of guys saying using a little graphite in there but I don't want to position myself where I need to replace the whole module.

If you can't get the picture to post let me know. If it says you are missing a security token that means that your picture is too large and you will have to size it down some.

I don't recommend graphite. Use a spray lube with Teflon in it.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
BAMM71

Let's see if this image works.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
OK, it looks to me like the sidebar is sticking out too far on the first two cylinders. (where I have the arrows pointing to) If this piece is sticking out too far, the cylinder will not turn when inserted. There is basically two things that can cause this. (well three really)

1. Key is not inserted all the way into the cylinder (Spray some lube in it and make sure the key is going in all the way) (compare it to your original)

2. Key is not cut correctly.

3. Crappy aftermarket lock cylinder (All aftermarket lock cylinders are not created equal)

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 05-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #11
BAMM71

Leon, somehow I knew you'd catch something!

I'll give it all another shot tomorrow. Is that sidebar something I could shave down without interfering with the internal mechanism? In regards to the quality of the locks..I knew that could be an issue that's why I ordered the second one and found a named "ACDelco" part as I thought this could be the case of a knockoff. Ending up in the same position though, I wasn't sure if I was going crazy(er)
Old 05-15-2020, 10:14 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Leon, somehow I knew you'd catch something!

I'll give it all another shot tomorrow. Is that sidebar something I could shave down without interfering with the internal mechanism? In regards to the quality of the locks..I knew that could be an issue that's why I ordered the second one and found a named "ACDelco" part as I thought this could be the case of a knockoff. Ending up in the same position though, I wasn't sure if I was going crazy(er)

Yes, it can be filed down and the edges rounded some. be sure and do both edges or you may get it in and not be able to get it back out. It has to be able to turn in both directions.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-17-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
BAMM71

Still no luck. Since this isn't really an end of the world issue, i'm just going to let it be for now. i can keep ordering locks and testing and trying or i can get out there and take her for a spin and enjoy it. Bigger battles to fight, like how the hell my glove box is getting water into it....
Old 05-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #14
70LonghornCST

Quote:
Still no luck. Since this isn't really an end of the world issue, i'm just going to let it be for now. i can keep ordering locks and testing and trying or i can get out there and take her for a spin and enjoy it. Bigger battles to fight, like how the hell my glove box is getting water into it....
Check the radio antenna wire to firewall grommet for the water in the glovebox.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:12 AM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

As far as the glove box leak read through this thread. There are a few pictures of the problem areas.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762441

-
Try using a little windshield sealer 6" in from the top corners and 3" down from the top corners of the windshield gasket. That may help the leak problem. Also check the inside of the drip rail and the seam below it and chalk as necessary.

The glove box liners have a seam on both sides and the lap in the seam is open at the top, so any water that leaks on the top of the liner runs down into the glove box. You can see what I'm talking about in the picture below. I always use sealer to seal up the gap in the seams before installing the glove box liners. That way if you do develop a leak it won't make a swimming pool in your glove box. I use a product called DAP tub & tile chalk. You can get it at any hardware store.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 05-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #16
BAMM71

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I'll seam it up and hope for the best. I had replaced it this winter as the last one had a giant hole in it...I thought due to being in a barn for years and years...turns out, it was being under water for years and years. Ha.