The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #1
thisolechevy

Starter Relay???

Before I get started I do understand that this is a Ford question, but hey its my dads car. We have a 1959 Mercury Monterey and until we started to "restore" it it ran! We just took off the water pump and removed the radiator because neither worked. Just today I reassembeld the car and tried to start it, it clicked and then all power was lost. I know that the battery is good and all the connections are in good cond. The weird thing about it was all electrical worked until I tried to start it, then it was all gone. If I simply disconnected the battery and waited a little then reconnected it all electrical worked great So is the starter relay bad??? or am I just missing something obvious
Old 06-25-2004, 05:53 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

First thing I would do is clean the battery post. Then try a battery you know is good or charge your battery, just to eliminate that.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
flip66

I would take the bat and have it checked I have seen them work fine and show 13v then as soon as you put a starter load on them they will die.
flip66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
72moneypit

My first thought was the regulator. It's been 20+ years since I worked on a Ford, but I recall having to replace regulators a handful of times when I was originally suspecting a starter problem. They were cheap, too.
72moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If you want to know if the solenoid is bad, you can jump around it. Bear in mind, tho, that you are going to see sparks fly.....but, that's how we checked 'em. Ready?

Take two screwdrivers. Touch the battery side of the solenoid with one of them. Touch the starter side with the other one. While both are touching a side of the solenoid, touch them together. Oh, it has to be the metal part of the screwdriver, not the plastic handles, that touch....just in case I muddied the water on that statement. Anyway, if the battery is hot, and the starter isn't locked up, it should turn the engine over when those two screwdriver shafts make contact. Like I said, sparks will fly (especially if the starter is locked up), so don't be careless and have some fuel in the path of the sparks.

Of course, you could just go buy a new solenoid and replace it and avoid the fireworks! You'd also save the wear and tear that trying to weld two screwdrivers together will cause.

I have had a little bit of experience with Ford and Mercury starters and solenoids.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 06-25-2004 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Clarification of statements previously made
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote