The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2004, 01:49 PM   #26
Dean

like i've told you before the best place for your quadrajunk is on the shelf.....lol. Seriously you might be needing that new carb sooner or later if that is the problem. I have never regretted switching any of mine out.

Of course maybe there are some quadrajet experts on here. I've never been a big fan.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:06 PM   #27
busterwivell

Jodie, do you have, or can you borrow, a different carb? Surely someone on the board from your area can help. Sounds like your carb has been a problem since the rebuilding. And don't worry about the burb on your trips, I'm sure we can get you a list of phone numbers to carry along the way, in case of a problem. Let's get that thing running good!
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:21 PM   #28
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Dean.... How many pounds of fudge and "stuff" ... would it take for you to send me that "Magic" carb... all ready to install??

Buster... Ive searched high and low for "truck buddies" around my area... Theres no one close enough to just bee bop on over here, lol.
Theres a guy down the street that my son works for sometimes, who will check it out and rebuild my carb if necessary, just hate having to pay someone to do stuff for me, then HOPE they didnt "fix" it in to a big ol mess, After the last "mechanic" worked on my truck, we have a new name for that kind of work... "Timmy Rigged".....
thanks again,

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:45 PM   #29
Dean

I might be convinced for fudge and certain "stuff" to send you a few of the quadrajets that I have. You could try them and see if they are any better...... Or maybe you could have one sent out for a professional rebuild?
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:08 PM   #30
dubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCjunkie
we have a new name for that kind of work... "Timmy Rigged".....
thanks again,
Hey now!! I resemble that remark It's amazing what you can do with some dental floss and jb weld
Hope ya get the bugs worked out of that Burb Jodie

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:09 PM   #31
68speedalert
Semi-Senior Member

When you said an aftermarket gas tank I thought about my problem one in jeep. You need to remove your fuel line into the carb and rig up a hose to it, then put the end of the hose in a clear jug (use your imagination). HAve someone start the engine while you look at the hose in the jug. Hold the hose in the bottom of the jug. After it fills a couple of inches, check if there are air bubbles coming out of the hose. If there is, a previous post is right, your sucking air in the system. Could be a hose like said before.

But...the aftermarket tank I was fighting had an internal crack in the supply line, inside the tank, not repairable on the Jeep model. If the supply goes thru the sending unit (like oem), then you could repair it there on you tank.

Steve
'95 GMC K1500 Extended cab
68speedalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:58 PM   #32
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

"Richard" Head lives down in GA? I thought he was a sperm donor for one of my grandchildren.

I got fed up with the Edelbrock 1405 on my truck and bought a 1901 to replace it. I have been tickled to death with it. Before, the old carb ran waaaay too rich. When I put the new one on it, I had to put a heat shield on the starter since it leaned out the mixture so much. I used to have to replace my No. 2 plug fairly regularly because it would gas foul. I am proud to say that hasn't happened in over a year. Of course, I'm also running a new Accel HEI with the new Edelbrock Q-Jet. But, I'm happy with the way it runs.

I personally like Q-Jets. They have suffered a bad rap, but most of the time it is due to someone who doesn't know their "Richard" from a hole in the ground and fails to properly clean and adjust it. With so many types of electronic fuel injection systems, whether EFI, PFI, etc., we are losing a class of people who know how to build 'em right.

But, I agree. Your problem sounds like a carburetor problem, more than an ignition problem.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 06-26-2004 at 01:16 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:19 PM   #33
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

It does sound like the problems started with that carb rebuild.....still , i will toss 1 more distributor thought out. i have seen the HEI dist have problems with breaking the 2 wires into the pickup coil. The vac advance walks the pickup coil around all the time, & they will run good at times, or hit a spot where the broken wires do not contact & basically run rough & erratically. Best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote