The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
bluex

Engine building tips..

Lay them on me guys, I'm getting my block back on monday, got my summit order yesterday. I hope to assemble the block fri/sat and get it and the tranny installed in the truck sunday. I want to get the bare block and tranny in the truck tues so I can move the crossmember and measure for my driveshaft so I wont be waiting on that.

Oh, this will be my first build, so I dont know much. I still have to go to sears and get a ring compressor and feeler guages. I have the specs and stuff in my chiltons manual (I think), so you can leave those out.

Thanks!
Paul
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
bluex

BUMP......

So no one on here rebuilds there own engines?? Looking to get started on it tomorrow, so anyone thats wants to come help is welcome, I might even pay for your gas and buy lunch!!
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
BodyShopDropOut12
9 months

Don't know much about it myself. But if it's still open invitation, I'll come for free(bring my own sack lunch) and watch also how it's done.
BodyShopDropOut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
PHOENIX

I never done it myself, but I know there are things you need to know and some tools youll need that you might not have.
I suggest buying a book for the engine you plan to rebuilt and follow the step by step instructions. You need to make sure things are installed correctly and clearances are correct for that application.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
TwinTurbo

Get some books and read them before even starting on the engine. General tips would be to work as clean as you can and be as precise as you can be. Measure everything, don't guess. Take your time and convince yourself every step is done right and it will work out most of the time. Be sure to have all necessary gaskets, a tube of black RTV, thread sealer, moly lube and/or cam break in lube, WD40, clean rags and your measuring instruments at hand. Clean everything, don't forget the crank oil holes, do remove all plugs (maybe shop already did that?)
Use all recommended torque specs, check that you have the right specs for your assembly method (oiled parts, assembly lube,..there is a difference)

Make sure you properly index all rings on the pistons, asemble them beforehand and set them away. Number them all and write an arrow on the piston to make sure you know what the front is.

It pays off to pay attention to little thigns, like cleaning out the oil return passages (sand gets trapped there), radiusing the returns in the valley so less oil collects in the rocker boxes, profiling and enlarging the pump and rear cap ares, so oil can flow into the engine more smoothly.

I'll come help if you pay the airfare
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
SanitysBane

i've done about 3 just follow the shop manual, check for clearence on the crank and rods using plastigage. about it
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:02 PM   #7
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Twin turbo is right-on. David Vizard has a book outlining engine building techniques. Very organized. You also might want to post in the engines & drivetrain category. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...?s=&forumid=24

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
Bowtie4by

If you're building a small block throw away the end seals for the intake manifold and use a bead of RTV instead. All those seals do is cause trouble. Good luck!
Bowtie4by is offline   Reply With Quote