The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #1
z71se

Neutral Safety Switch Ideas?

Hey guys, I'm having some NSS issues. I had my column "rebuilt" during my frame-off and when I went to start the motor, I realized the starter would not turn over unless the shift lever was in a certain position (not Park or Neutral). I removed the original NSS to inspect it and it appeared like the plastic arm had seen better days.

I ordered a new AC Delco switch, but it looks different than the original (I've read several accounts from C10 owners about this). I installed it, but I cannot get the switch to establish continuity no matter where the shift lever is, and no matter how the NSS is adjusted (there is some small room for adjustment). The reverse lights also work anytime the key is on.

Is there something inside the column that can be adjusted regarding the NSS? I would hate to pull this dang column again if my problem is not internal to the column, but instead NSS related.

Here is the "OEM" replacement NSS from AC Delco. It does not look quite like my original, and has extra spades on it.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:21 AM   #2
malc1080

Re: Neutral Safety Switch Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71se View Post
Hey guys, I'm having some NSS issues. I had my column "rebuilt" during my frame-off and when I went to start the motor, I realized the starter would not turn over unless the shift lever was in a certain position (not Park or Neutral). I removed the original NSS to inspect it and it appeared like the plastic arm had seen better days.

I ordered a new AC Delco switch, but it looks different than the original (I've read several accounts from C10 owners about this). I installed it, but I cannot get the switch to establish continuity no matter where the shift lever is, and no matter how the NSS is adjusted (there is some small room for adjustment). The reverse lights also work anytime the key is on.

Is there something inside the column that can be adjusted regarding the NSS? I would hate to pull this dang column again if my problem is not internal to the column, but instead NSS related.

Here is the "OEM" replacement NSS from AC Delco. It does not look quite like my original, and has extra spades on it.

The newer or replacements NSS will have extra connection prongs but you just won't use them. Make sure you are connecting the connections on the correct prongs and make sure you are aligning the position of the NSS with the correct position of the gear selector. If the reverse lights are on, it sounds like you have the NSS on the wrong selector. nothing inside the column that needs adjusting. You will have to adjust the NSS and move it side to side to get it to line up with the gear selector(park matching with park)
malc1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:14 AM   #3
Pontiac1976

There is two nss one for Tilt column and one for None Tilt column.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
z71se

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the above shown NSS working to an acceptable level on my C10 LS swap with 6L90 transmission by bending the prongs up and sliding it further to the left. I think the detents on the 6L90 have slightly different spacing than say a TH350 or 700R4. The truck will only start in Park (not neutral) but luckily the Reverse lights only illuminate in Reverse and the truck will not start in Reverse. So I am happy. In the unlikely event the truck dies on the freeway, I'll have to coast to the shoulder and restart it in Park.