The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
steppside69

Question carb question

I have a q-jet carb on my truck, and from setting for a long long while, Now that I finally got it running the gaskets have seemed to either dry up or something like that, anyways now the carb leaks gas, and I seem to have a vacum all off the carb. I replaced the only hose (vacum advance) and the plugs on the carb, and also tightened up the screws. But as my luck would have it it still leaks gas

I got the carb for free and I was told it was a rebuild from summit, But being the tight a$$ I am, I was wondering if I would be very hard to rebuild the carb? When it was fairly new (carb) it ran great. But now it will not idle and if I rev the engine I can feel the engine stamer I checked the timming and replaced the spark plugs,wires,cap,ect...(before carb started leaking)
I was talking to a friend and he said the were very diffcult to rebuild. Now I am asking the board for advice What would you do?

steppside69
steppside69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

If the gaskets dried up ,you might want to check the accelerator pump also ,make sure you didn't overtighten the bolts going thru the carb also .Check for a vacuum leak at the base of the carb .

Good luck
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
smitty62

Quadrajets are a great carburetor (despite what the know-it-all kids tell you) but they are not for the inexperienced to rebuild. However, no carburetor will run properly after setting a long period--just from the varnish build up if nothing else. Not sure where you live, but there is usually an old timer in the area that can rebuild it for you. It may cost you $100 but it still a lot cheaper than a new, less desireable carb. The trouble with most Q-jets is that most of those around today have been "overhauled" by someone that was working on Briggs & Strattons the week before

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Ooooh, I love my Q-Jet.....much better than my old Edelbrock 1405 (like an AFB).

When Q-Jets sit, beside the previously mentioned varnish buildup, and the "drying out" that occurs, they just don't like it.

Accelerator pumps dry out. They can be replaced. Just take the top of the carb off and it will be easily replace.

There are two plugs in the base of the body of the carburetor. These have been known to leak. There are repair kits to correct this. The good ones include new plugs with o-rings and a hard foam piece that fits in the well of the base and holds the plugs in position.

If there is wear in the base plate, air can leak (ever so slightly) but fuel that is leaking from those two plugs I mentioned, will leak out of the throttle plate shaft bore.

You should be able to replace the pump and the plugs without making any adjustments to the float level. Be sure that you get everything back in the right place (this is a gross understatement).

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:34 PM   #5
jhow66

Are you sure your carb is not just flooding over(float needle stuck open)? When you speed it up do you see a lot of black smoke? If you have never had a carb apart I would advise you to get someone that has to help you before taking on the Q-Jet as I have done 100's of them. Once you get to know them and how to fix them there is no better "street" carb. If you see black smoke you may have gas fouled some of your plugs.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:49 AM   #6
A.P.
Black 72 Chevy

Q-jet carbs are easy to rebuild. Somebody posted this site here on the board not too long ago and its good info.
http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/R...QJet/index.htm
A.P. is offline   Reply With Quote