The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2020, 02:07 AM   #1
slepysal

3 speed tranny issues

Hope you are all well.
So with all that's going on I haven't driven the old truck for a while. Yesterday I went for a ride and noticed a bad gear grind when I put it into reverse. First was a bit "hard" to get into as well, No issues with 2nd or 3rd.
Clutch master and slave are working . I tried adjusting the shift rods but it made no difference still grinding. Then it happened.... the trany gets stuck I am unable to shift at all.
Today I removed the rods, the old hurst floor shifter is jammed but so is the tired old 3 speed I am unable to move either of the shift arms.
Any ideas?

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: 3 speed tranny issues

Will the truck roll if you push in the clutch? If not, the worn linkage has allowed you to get it into two gears at once. 1st and 2nd would be my bet. If this is the case, raise and block up the rear end to get any force off the gears. You should be able to move the levers on the trans to get it back to neutral. Then it's time for some shifter repair or replacement. Grinding could also be incomplete release of the clutch. 1st and reverse don't have synchros, but 2nd and 3rd do if your trans is original. I don't remember what year 1st gear got a synchronizer ring.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
slepysal

Thanks Steve No the truck will not roll with the clutch in. I can Start it with the clutch in and it will stay still it will creep a bit as I Let the clutch out

Old 06-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

OK, I'd suspect that at least the clutch is fried or maybe just needs adjusting. How much free pedal do you have?

Simi Valley, CA
Old 06-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
slepysal

Well I messed around with the Hurst shifter last night. It was dirty and every bolt was loose.I cleaned, lubed and tightened the bolts . It was shifting good.
This morning I fallowed your instructions ( thanks again) but the arms would not budge.Decided to take the side cover off the three speed and as suspected it looks like it is in two gears. I removed the driveshaft and started her up. Let the clutch out and it stalled with the lovely smell of burning clutch. Freeplay is 1 1/2"
Tranny is now out . I don't think I will be putting it back in..I'm going to use this as my excuse to do a T5 swap.
I was hoping it would be a quick fix . Thanks again

Last edited by slepysal; 06-20-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Well I messed around with the Hurst shifter last night. It was dirty and every bolt was loose.I cleaned, lubed and tightened the bolts . It was shifting good.
This morning I fallowed your instructions ( thanks again) but the arms would not budge.Decided to take the side cover off the three speed and as suspected it looks like it is in two gears. I removed the driveshaft and started her up. Let the clutch out and it stalled with the lovely smell of burning clutch. Freeplay is 1 1/2"
Tranny is now out . I don't think I will be putting it back in..I'm going to use this as my excuse to do a T5 swap.
I was hoping it would be a quick fix . Thanks again
Glad to be of help!

Simi Valley, CA