The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
john68c10

68 C10 Horn Button Install

I've read several threads on here concerning this horn button installation. I finally got my original wheel back, and got everything I should need to install the horn button. Namely, I've got all this (images borrowed from another thread)

I also have the correct 1" cup for my '68

I get it all installed up and it looks like this :

Trouble is, the cup doesn't slide up and down evenly since it only has the spring loaded pin below it in one place to make it slide. It rides up fine on the side with the pin, but the rest is uneven. This causes the horn button to sit awkward in the cup and look like it's about to fall off, even though it's completely mounted in the cup.

What to do ? I'm at a loss.
john68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 68 C10 Horn Button Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by john68c10 View Post
I've read several threads on here concerning this horn button installation. I finally got my original wheel back, and got everything I should need to install the horn button. Namely, I've got all this (images borrowed from another thread)

I also have the correct 1" cup for my '68

I get it all installed up and it looks like this :

Trouble is, the cup doesn't slide up and down evenly since it only has the spring loaded pin below it in one place to make it slide. It rides up fine on the side with the pin, but the rest is uneven. This causes the horn button to sit awkward in the cup and look like it's about to fall off, even though it's completely mounted in the cup.

What to do ? I'm at a loss.

Something is not right then. The cup should not slide up and down, it should be mounted firmly in the wheel. It should only push down far enough to push the center of the metal disk down against the center of the wheel hub. You didn't mention if your horn works or not.

The clearance between the horn cap and the steering wheel should be 1/8"+ all the way around, and even.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 07-20-2020 at 11:54 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Davidf

turn the cupped washer spring over and try again.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #4
AllGoNoShow

Dumb question, but you have the rubber washer (with notch in appropriate space) on the horn button right? As others of said, that metal cup should barely move (just collapses the small spring loaded washer enough to activate the horn). The nylon retainer thing for the bolts looks different from the top picture to the next-verify that the thickness is the same....I know the cups can be different based on the year but am wondering if that nylon piece is different too.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:12 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Dumb question, but you have the rubber washer (with notch in appropriate space) on the horn button right? As others of said, that metal cup should barely move (just collapses the small spring loaded washer enough to activate the horn). The nylon retainer thing for the bolts looks different from the top picture to the next-verify that the thickness is the same....I know the cups can be different based on the year but am wondering if that nylon piece is different too.

I was also wondering about the red retainer. I thought I had one and went out and looked for it to measure it but couldn't find it. I wondered if the red one might be for a tilt.... Most of them are white. The three screw bosses on the white ones measure about 1/4" tall.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 68 C10 Horn Button Install

Quote:
the cup doesn't slide up and down evenly since it only has the spring loaded pin below it in one place to make it slide.

I'm still trying to figure out how it's sliding up and down?

Check out this post. good info but the video is lacking but the remarks afterward are right on.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780247

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote