The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
kansasc10

Cost to buy and install windshield molding

To make a long story short, I had my windshield replaced and the installer bent the molding during the install and had to order it all new. That was 3 months ago and I havent heard back from the shop after repeated attempts to get an update on when they'd be coming back to put it in. So now my insurance company says that since the shop isnt responding (a "preferred" shop that the insurance company recommended btw) theyll pay for the molding and the install if I want to find someone else, or just pay me for the loss. So my question is, whats the price to buy new molding AND install it? They were clueless on a price and are basically leaving it up to me to give them a number. I tried calling a few places around my area and couldn't find anyone who said they'd be able to install it so I have no clue what the cost would be. Thanks in advance.
kansasc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Cost to buy and install windshield molding

-
I have never purchased the new trim but from what I read on here you will want to find some good original trim. Unless they have changed it, the new stuff doesn't fit well and makes the windshield impossible to install. There are two different types of trim and the rubber gasket has to match the trim you have. I find that the deeper trim is easier to install. ('67-'70 style) There are quite a few threads on here about the problem.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7351870 Also check out the link in post #5 in that thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=8151237

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 07-24-2020 at 09:15 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Nice thing is most factory windshield frames are still in great condition. Around here anyway, but they're stainless and not much can go wrong.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
NorCalC20LWB

Here in Nor Cal it cost me $300 to have the front windshield/original trim installed, and $125 for the rear glass/aftermarket trim. I thought that was a little steep, but was glad to pay it to have it installed correctly. The installer has been doing this since the mid 70's, so he was used to doing the old style glass. He said the back glass/trim is easy, and aftermarket trim is no big deal. BUT, like Locdoc said, he would not even put the front glass in with aftermarket trim. I don't know if that's typical, or just this shops policy.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
samkost

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post
Here in Nor Cal it cost me $300 to have the front windshield/original trim installed, and $125 for the rear glass/aftermarket trim. I thought that was a little steep, but was glad to pay it to have it installed correctly. The installer has been doing this since the mid 70's, so he was used to doing the old style glass. He said the back glass/trim is easy, and aftermarket trim is no big deal. BUT, like Locdoc said, he would not even put the front glass in with aftermarket trim. I don't know if that's typical, or just this shops policy.
IMHO,
That's actually a decent install price for a knowledgable quality installer who warranties his work.
I paid a little more for my recent windshield and OE trim installed.
Safelight couldn't get the first attempt installed and gave up ruining my Precision gasket. I was lucky they didn't ruin my OE trim.
Several months later, I was fortunate to find a qualified glassman in my area.
I watched them (two guys) take 1 hour & 45 min. to install and saw first hand what it takes to do it correctly.
After reading many post stories of failed attempts, I'm relieved that I finally got this job checked off my list.
Attached Images

samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
gmc684x4

I have used OER brand trim on back window it held up good need to insure new its stainless original will be stainless too

I had a set for the front trim the glass guy would not listen when i tried to explain to him how it install the trim i caught him with a zip disc getting ready to destroy it

His manager gave me the glass at cost after much fighting over his not so bright employ tried messing up my truck

I learned that when I was young put the trim in first attach rubber to glass use masking tape to help hold in place during the install remove masking tape as you install it to insure your not getting it stuck under the rubber seal

Here is a install video you can share with your glass guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOXTbtjq_mc
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
ThreeQuarter

How bent is your OE trim?
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkost View Post
IMHO,
That's actually a decent install price for a knowledgable quality installer who warranties his work.
Safelight couldn't get the first attempt installed and gave up ruining my Precision gasket. I was lucky they didn't ruin my OE trim.
I watched them (two guys) take 1 hour & 45 min. to install and saw first hand what it takes to do it correctly.
After reading many post stories of failed attempts, I'm relieved that I finally got this job checked off my list.
My guy quoted me $150ish for front and rear. Small enough I can't remember exactly, it's written down someplace. He says another $100 he assembles new rubbers and installs the vent window and roll-up too, N deal, I'll likely tip, and he'll make easy work of it. I even hired him to remove the front and rear $60, a house visit of course. He's an old rocker if you get my meaning, seen some drugs in his time for certain. He hung out a while and we smoked, I mean had some beers. My son gave him 2 lbs of crab cuz he liked him too.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:11 AM   #9
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I have never purchased the new trim but from what I read on here you will want to find some good original trim. Unless they have changed it, the new stuff doesn't fit well and makes the windshield impossible to install. There are two different types of trim and the rubber gasket has to match the trim you have. I find that the deeper trim is easier to install. ('67-'70 style) There are quite a few threads on here about the problem.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7351870 Also check out the link in post #5 in that thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=8151237

LockDoc
The 71-72 style trim has the deeper flange. 67-70 has the short flange.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The 71-72 style trim has the deeper flange. 67-70 has the short flange.

Sorry, You would be wrong.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649472

Read post # 24. He has been a vendor on here for a long time.

I just dismantled a '69 CST and it has the longer 5/8" stainless windshield trim.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
samkost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
My guy quoted me $150ish for front and rear. Small enough I can't remember exactly, it's written down someplace. He says another $100 he assembles new rubbers and installs the vent window and roll-up too, N deal, I'll likely tip, and he'll make easy work of it. I even hired him to remove the front and rear $60, a house visit of course. He's an old rocker if you get my meaning, seen some drugs in his time for certain. He hung out a while and we smoked, I mean had some beers. My son gave him 2 lbs of crab cuz he liked him too.
That’s a great deal for labor Knowledgeable glass installers for our trucks and classics are getting scarce.
I forgot to mention the invoice from my installer, who also came to my house, supplied the windshield, the correct Precision 67 to 70 gasket, his assistant and supplies.
Labor prices per hour are not going down.
I was happy to pay for a quality job.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #12
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasc10 View Post
To make a long story short, I had my windshield replaced and the installer bent the molding during the install and had to order it all new. That was 3 months ago and I havent heard back from the shop after repeated attempts to get an update on when they'd be coming back to put it in. So now my insurance company says that since the shop isnt responding (a "preferred" shop that the insurance company recommended btw) theyll pay for the molding and the install if I want to find someone else, or just pay me for the loss. So my question is, whats the price to buy new molding AND install it? They were clueless on a price and are basically leaving it up to me to give them a number. I tried calling a few places around my area and couldn't find anyone who said they'd be able to install it so I have no clue what the cost would be. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post

Since you were unable to find anyone in your area to even get a quote from, use this as your baseline. Yes, it's california, and everything cost more here, but since they're lookin for a number from you, go with this AS A MINIMUM. Don't be shy. Insurance companies in general have no problems lo-balling you when it suits their purposes...
Old 07-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
kidatheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkost View Post
IMHO,
I’m really curious-did the guys that installed it put the top or the bottom in first? I’ve done it both ways and it is tough both ways. And I’ve seen videos both ways. Thank you.
kidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:30 AM   #14
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Sorry, You would be wrong.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649472

Read post # 24. He has been a vendor on here for a long time.

I just dismantled a '69 CST and it has the longer 5/8" stainless windshield trim.

LockDoc
Yep, sorry for the misinformation. Had the rear trim in my mind which is the same and pretty short for all years. Have installed a 71-72 windshield with stock trim and I do not think it was to bad. About to do another.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
custom10nut

Last year I had my original (cracked) windshield replaced.
I went to the place that so many in Columbia SC recommended.
Talk about a Headache!
I paid $300 to listen to the shop accuse and counter accuse each other on not talking to each other, and ordering the wrong year (the dingbat ordered a Squarebody glass, because she “thought they were the same”). That was the first Visit. The next was the installer saying “I ain’t never put one of them in”. They had to get a guy in from two counties over, who was supposed be the best.
When he came he wanted $100 more because I have the stainless trim.
I should have just left.
Anyway, he put it in, the gasket doesn’t fit right, and it leaks.
I’m in another state now, so going back there isn’t an option.
I’m seriously considering having it redone, but I keep the truck inside and don’t drive her much.
Bottom line.
Good luck with getting yours done correctly
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #16
samkost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidatheart View Post
I’m really curious-did the guys that installed it put the top or the bottom in first? I’ve done it both ways and it is tough both ways. And I’ve seen videos both ways. Thank you.
kidatheart,
They installed the top in first.
The one thing he did differently was he taped the trim to the gasket seal differently on the outside only to the windshield.
The trim at the top and corners seem to be the concern.

If you have seen the two Youtube videos of the C10 Windshield/Trim installs for our C10's they taped the trim down cross ways around the gasket on both sides of the windshield. When they pull the cord through for the pinch weld seals, it cuts the tape, leaving some tape inside the gasket.

I asked my installer about that and his answer was his way it holds the trim in place better and there is no tape left inside to prevent a seal issue later on down the road.
Helping hands on the outside applying pressure is definitely required when setting/sealing the inside pinch weld.
Good luck with your windshield.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2020, 12:08 AM   #17
kansasc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
Since you were unable to find anyone in your area to even get a quote from, use this as your baseline. Yes, it's california, and everything cost more here, but since they're lookin for a number from you, go with this AS A MINIMUM. Don't be shy. Insurance companies in general have no problems lo-balling you when it suits their purposes...
I think that's a good plan. I can't seem to get a price from anyone around here to install it so the info from you guys is about all I have to go on. The installer never even brought me my original trim. Said he tried to install it into the rubber at his shop and bent it there so I never saw how bad it was. I didn't know about the aftermarket stuff being trash otherwise I would've made him return it to me. Looks like I'm running trimeless from here on out. What a shame. :whine
kansasc10 is offline   Reply With Quote