The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #1
RPBurris

fender brace orientation question

Just checking to see if these are supposed to "nest" with the A pillar or go the opposite way. My truck either didn't have them at all or were rusted away by the time I got there. Here is what I have. Easy enough to flip them around if I need to. Couldn't find any information on previous posts. Thanks in advance. Yeah and I don't know how to make the images rotate. They aren't that way on my phone or computer...
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
CarlsLQ9SS

Re: fender brace orientation question

The bevel goes toward the outside of the cab. They sandwich together and was actually welded together with a couple spot welds.
CarlsLQ9SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
Davidf

I can confirm they spot welded together. I did not re-weld my replacements, hope that wasn’t a mistake. They nest
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
RPBurris

So sandwich in between the cab support and outer rocker? I think I am too late for that. I could have sworn that I saw other photos with bolted through connections in this location. In fact the remaining pieces of the original cab were bolted. I did find some photos I saved from JustAPickup's build and his are welded. They also look like they are sitting in the same orientation as mine which was my original question. Anyone else have photos of what they did in this area?
Old 08-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
sick472

I plan in doing it just like your second photo (the one that is painted all white).

I do have to ask the real purpose of these bolted on braces. I have had my front fenders on and off more than I care to admit during test fitting and such and I have not installed these bolt-on back-up braces yet. They have bolted on fine, look and feel real sturdy. I will put them back on before the fenders go on the last time, but they seem unnecessary. Up to this point I have just used a large fender washer and put a rather thick standard washer between the fender washer and the bolt head. The fender washer cups in due to the torque/pressure of tightening down the bolt.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
Davidf

They go on last. The spot ends are about three equally spaced around the hole that holds the fender. Not sandwich between any other metal.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
sick472

from the Assembly Manual...
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
RPBurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
I plan in doing it just like your second photo (the one that is painted all white).

I do have to ask the real purpose of these bolted on braces. I have had my front fenders on and off more than I care to admit during test fitting and such and I have not installed these bolt-on back-up braces yet. They have bolted on fine, look and feel real sturdy. I will put them back on before the fenders go on the last time, but they seem unnecessary. Up to this point I have just used a large fender washer and put a rather thick standard washer between the fender washer and the bolt head. The fender washer cups in due to the torque/pressure of tightening down the bolt.
I wasn't really planning on putting them on but already had them. Note the one that is painted (actually primed) white is the passenger side. I also have a photo of the A pillar above too. It does stiffen everything up pretty nice though. As long as they are supposed nest together I am fine with the bolted connection.