The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Hawker7

Flowmaster Downpipe Kit

Has anyone used the Flowmaster 81072 kit?

It came with no instructions and I'm trying to figure out if the sleeve that goes inside the donut gasket goes in a certain way? I'm using new Dorman Ram Horn manifolds. Does the prong side go up into the exhaust manifold or down the downpipe?

I'm also trying to see which brand/part number gasket they provide incase I needed to replace at some point. Looks like it might be a Walker Brand.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hawker7; 10-02-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Hawker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Richard

Re: Flowmaster Downpipe Kit

Not sure what that piece would be for. Maybe just an adapter to connect to the exhaust? The donut (gasket) typically installs with the side against the table into the manifold. The downpipe connection should have a flare on it with the floating three bolt flange right behind the flare. The flare on downpipe tightens against the male bevel on the donut. Nothing typically slides into the donut. All the pictures I have seen of the downpipe kit show the manifold connection end assembled. Is yours not that way?

Looking at it again, if that piece was to be used for crush strength. The tapered end would go into the beveled side of donut and the end with the tangs would slide into the new down pipe. Obviously the tanged larger end needs to slip into the downpipe.

Last edited by Richard; 10-02-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
geunther

It looks like that kit replicates the attached setup. The donut goes over the sleeve, which slides into the downpipes. It does help keep the donut centered.
Attached Images

geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
Hawker7

Yes, this is similar to the factory setup but this one has the prongs on one side. I just curious if anyone had this setup and which way they put it.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
Hawker7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Not sure what that piece would be for. Maybe just an adapter to connect to the exhaust? The donut (gasket) typically installs with the side against the table into the manifold. The downpipe connection should have a flare on it with the floating three bolt flange right behind the flare. The flare on downpipe tightens against the male bevel on the donut. Nothing typically slides into the donut. All the pictures I have seen of the downpipe kit show the manifold connection end assembled. Is yours not that way?

Looking at it again, if that piece was to be used for crush strength. The tapered end would go into the beveled side of donut and the end with the tangs would slide into the new down pipe. Obviously the tanged larger end needs to slip into the downpipe.
Donut gaskets need a sleeve to go on or they are very likely to blow out. Normally you can just cut a 2" piece of exhaust pipe and use that. The factory had a similar setup.