The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
jcurran4

window hard to roll up, door takes slamming, your thoughts?

Thank you all! I'm not overly handy but I'm thinking about tackling my '72 passenger door because the window is so hard to crank I'm loosening the handle piece. It tracks fine, it just takes a lot of strength. Those wiser than I, do you think I probably just need to replace the window regulator? I can do that without taking out the door handle parts, yes?

I also have to really slam that door to get it to latch. It helps if I slam it at the top of the door, I've noticed. Would appreciate any thoughts on that as well, and perhaps I should tackle both at the same time??

Thank you so much!

Jill
jcurran4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
Willys_MB

Re: window hard to roll up, door takes slamming, your thoughts?

This is also on my long list of to-do's. I personally plan on taking the doors apart and replacing everything (vent windows, window seals, regulators, handle/latch components, etc.) so I only have to do it one time. I don't think it's usually the handle components that go bad, it's usually the latch. There are definitely wiser people out there than myself; however, if I've learned anything over the years it's that when I'm that deep into something, I just do it all. My time is worth more than I used to think and it's easier to do it all when you're in there. How many times have we all finished a project and then something right where you were working needs replacing?

Old 10-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
truckster

Before you go replacing everything, there are some things you can check.

The most common problem is that the nylon rollers in the window track (at the bottom of the glass) and attached to the door get filled with dirt. Clean and lubricate those first. Check the window felt for rips or other obstructions. If they're just dirty, you can clean them with a nylon brush.

As far as the door goes, does it seem to be the hinges or the door latch mechanism? In either case, a liberal dose of lubrication can help as well. For both of those places I like Liquid Wrench penetrating oil. I had a passenger door on my Blazer that I thought I would have to replace the hinge because it was so stiff. I gave it a good spray of Liquid Wrench and worked it back and forth a few times, then gave it one more spray. I did that several times over the course of a week or so and it closes like a brand-new door now.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The window channel felts may be bad and the window is catching or binding on them. If it is really bad you may strip the window regulator out by forcing it.

As far as the door being hard to close I would start by using some PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil on the door lock and latch first. You can get to them through the rear of the window channel opening with the window rolled down. If you shine a good strong flashlight down into the door you will be able to see the lock & latch. Just spray it all good with the penetrating oil. If it still doesn't want to cooperate try moving the striker plate out a bit (on the door jamb). Be sure and mark around it with a fine felt tip marker first so you can tell how far you have moved it. Only go about 1/16" at a time and don't let it move up or down, just out. It shouldn't take much if that's the problem.

The latch may be worn out and need to be changed but it won't cost anything to try the above suggestions.

LockDoc

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

If you could post pictures of the door latch and the striker plate on the pillar it may help us troubleshoot the problem.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
jcurran4

I will go through all the suggestions for my truck this weekend and give an update. Thank you all!
Jill
jcurran4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
i82much

I found that lubrication to free up my rusted latch and regulator cured my issues. Took some time but not too bad of a job. One of these days maybe I'll get around to putting the door panels back in!
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote