The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
jdorrough

Re: Rotten 66 Farm Truck Build

The cab was taking up too much space in my garage, so I decided to start cleaning it up for paint. I took everything out of the cab, including the dash. BTW, that thing had close to 40 spot welds! The reason I took the dash out was to clean up some rust that had start on each side where it bolts up. I debated on what to do with the bottom of the cab and ended up using the same paint I used on the frame.
Attached Images

jdorrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
jdorrough

And here is where I'm at today. Over the last two weeks, I've sank more time than I'd care to admit into bodywork.I prepped the job with a little body filler and scuffing the factory paint. I started with a base of epoxy primer. Then two thick coats of high build 2k primer. I then moved to glazing putty to any defects that went to metal when sanding the high build. I then sealed it with a reduced coat of epoxy before laying color. I did two coats of base, which is a blood red from Custom Shop. Finally, I cleared it with two coats of AkzoNobel 4.0. I'm clearly not a painter as it has some orange peel but it should clean up nice after I cut and buff it. I'm happy with it so far.
Attached Images

jdorrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
Grizz1963

Thats looking great, and the fastest colour.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
jdorrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Thats looking great, and the fastest colour.
Thanks Grizz. I'm digging your fleetside. I'd love to stumble upon one and convert this one to fleet before I get too much time and money invested into the stepper bed.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Brand new fleetside beds are available any the reviews are good on them. You are well on your way to a very nice truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorrough View Post
Thanks Grizz. I'm digging your fleetside. I'd love to stumble upon one and convert this one to fleet before I get too much time and money invested into the stepper bed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
88Stanger

Great build so far and Great year of truck! lol The color is spot on! I will be watching of updates

As for the fleet side... i have bought complete beds from Classic Industries and had really no issues and will be again this year. Figure $600 per side delivered if you catch it on one of CI's 30% off sales. They change almost every Sunday. then get a tailgate at somewhere around $350 or so and then a front at about $150, then figure out the bed, wood or steel and go from there.

Either way, it will be a nice ride. I am a HUGE red and black fan! My "66 is going to be Flat Red and gloss black highlights.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
jdorrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Brand new fleetside beds are available any the reviews are good on them. You are well on your way to a very nice truck.
Yeah I'm still thinking on the bed situation. It will be the last body section I tackle so I have some time to do a little research.