The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #1
rechinca

Rear mounts at bellhousing

Trying to sling in the engine/trans today and I can not get those mounts to line up on the crossmember. I know I am facing a challenge trying to do this with the truck on a sloped driveway, but it just does not seem the aftermarket mounts I have are going to work. Anyone have any suggestions or info they care to share?

Just for info, the mounts have a metal outer U shape with rubber under it. It has an oval shaped extrusion that makes for a snug fit into the same shaped hole in the crossmember. On the top side of the mount, they have two small holes for aligning with the nub on the bottom of the bellhousing. No matter how I try an rock it back and forth or side to side, I can't for the life of me get the nub to line up with a hole on both sides and the hole for the bolt to line up with the bellhousing. And yes I am trying to sling the engine/trans in as a unit.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Rear mounts at bellhousing

I used a starting punch about 10" long to muscle it in place , And it's going to drive you crazy doing it . I did it and it's not fun the bolts have to line up just right to start threading in and it fought me the whole way without having the cab in the way or lying on my back on a sloped driveway , I had the front engine mounts bolts in loose and used a floor jack to help align it by lifting the pressure off just enough to start 1 bolt and wrestle it to get the 2nd bolt in .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
rechinca

Thanks Grumpy for the info. I think I will give it another shot today for a couple of hours. If that doesn't work, I guess it will get rolled down to the street and wrestled with there early next week as work is calling again for the next four days. I don't want to get half tangled with it in the street like that and be gone for the weekend.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
rechinca

Grumpy I took a fresh look and found that the locator holes on the upper mount were off. Opened them up a bit and use a couple of drifts. It dropped right in.