The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2004, 01:27 AM   #1
jostrans68
Jostrans68

Help Inner Fender FIT

I have 2 new fenders and for the life of me I cannot get them to line up. If I get all the wheel well openings then the 2 that go up are 1.5 inches off ... any hints on what I am doing wrong....TIA Jack
Old 07-06-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Pictures might help. I am trial fitting all my front end parts now and it is amazing how far off parts can be from truck to truck...excluding after-market parts that are notorious for their ill-fitting manners...LOL! Lots of shims and force! I just seem to keep chasing the problem to the next panel and then back again! You have my sympathy!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
GMCPaul

Jack myself I do all front end part assembly off the truck, first I unbolt the hood, then I remove the front clip as a assembly, after removal I flip it upside down and disassemble it starting with inner fenders, once your down to the core support sitting by its-self upside down, stick one fender againest a wall upside down, then slide core support into it upside down and loosely start the bolts, then do other fender the same, after fenders are loosely bolted to the core support I grab a inner fender and flip it upside down and begin barely starting the bolts in center of wheel arch and work either direction from there till all bolts in arch are installed and then I start the ones at core support & rear base of fender, I then flip the clip over and install the upper core support to fender brace & battery tray assembly. After every bolt is loosely installed I then square the assembly up by measuring in a criss-cross pattern from one side to the other until both measurements are the same and then I tighten everything. Then I install the front clip back on the truck as a assembly and shim and tweak into alignment.
It generally takes 4-5 hours tops from beginning of disaasembly to final assembly bolting hood back on.
I find it easiest this way, sometimes you can get lucky and unbolt a old part and bolt a new one on without hassles, but I found this was rarely the case whether I was using a used part from another truck or a new part, the only time I don't use the above method is if I am bolting back on the exact same part that was on the vehicle originally.
Hope this helps!!!
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
roadking

two man job, do the front of fender last, you can get alittle fender flex to help with last bolts. i had to insert rod between two fenders to help pull togeather.
ENJOY LIFE
roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I don't know what to tell you. I put the earlier thin ones in my GMC, after it was all painted and together, with no pre-fitting. No holes filed or redrilled.
I just put a pair of the new thicker ones in my Blazer. All I had to do was pull the front wheels. Again I did not have to file or redrill any holes and they were not prefitted. It took about a half hour per side and it was a one-man-job, because there is only one of me. In both cases the fenders were original GM, so maybe the problem is repro inners with repro fenders.
Did you go back to your supplier and ask them if there were any problems and what they recommend to help you?
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Hey PICKMUP, what color is that? It looks very familiar.
Attached Images

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
64fleetside

None of the Chinese repro stuff has fit for me, the front bumper my bro bought was over 1/4" off at the mounting holes. I just put the front cap on my 70 together like Paul said, using one new inner fender. It has one hole that will never line up to anything. These parts are made by folks on the other side of the world who have never laid eyes on a 67-72 Chevy. Get one of those step-type drill bits & go to town. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
7T1BURB

Same problem was driving me...

"NUTS"....original passenger inner fender fit back together like a glove.....reproduction driver inner fender would not bolt up to save my life....lousy "repro" stuff!!!*#%@4!!! I could not get the two bolts under the inner fender to mount to the bottom (underneath) of the fender??? must have been 1/2 inch off and would not pull any closer....WAIT A MINUTE....I had reinstalled those two bolts under the fender after disassembly some months ago so I wouldn't lose them and failed to take them out when I was about to reinstall the fender. After removal everything lined up as per specs......another great mechanical FOPAR...its all better now!! Hope yours is an easy fix like ours was!! Had to have a big laugh about this one!!!

7T1 BURB
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:11 PM   #9
roadking

mine were reman. from chevy duty, it worked but took some time.
ENJOY LIFE
roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 PM   #10
jostrans68
Jostrans68

goodmark fenders and oe inners thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 10:52 PM   #11
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Last night, I bolted on a repopped passenger fender from Goodmark. It was made by Tri-plus and the fit was perfect. I bolted it up to an original inner fender and it bolted up perfectly. For being a foreign made part, I was very impressed with it. Sometimes a large awl will help with lining up the holes. Get one lined up, loosley tighten the bolt then move to the next one. It takes a little time but be patient and you will get it.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:33 AM   #12
MOTHERTRUCKERS

TRI PLUS although made in Taiwan are the best fitting best quality sheetmetal parts available. If their not TRI PLUS don't bother with them unless you want problems with fitting.