The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
44carl

Reverse VIN Tracking

Awhile back I bought a parts truck from a scrapyard with no VIN tag on the door post, just a bill of sale. Looked to be a 69' or 70' C20 with a 327 2b...400 Turbo...Eaton HO52. I was after the engine and transmission for another project but ended up not using them. So now I have what looks to be a rough but all original C20 with no title. In theory I should be able to come up with a VIN by the frame numbers, engine, etc. if it is in fact all original. Then run that VIN(or several) through my state motor vehicle data base and see if it was stolen etc. and resolve any issues and obtain a title. Any thoughts on this approach?
44carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
rechinca

Re: Reverse VIN Tracking

Depends on state and where it came from. Someone may have taken the VIN plate and used it to register one in another locale. Without the original VIN plate it could be very hard to do.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
mr48chev

I'm going to say find another 69/70 longbed that might have the parts you need to make a decent truck out of that one that has a title and mix and match parts until you have a complete truck. It might be time to "lets go for a ride" on the back roads of NE Texas and do some truck spotting.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
44carl

I think it's about the chase on this one. I have plenty of projects and uses for the drivetrain but something about this truck intrigues me, it even has roof lights lol.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
jocko

Frame is only a partial VIN, but it should have the build plant code and final 6 of the digits of the VIN. If it's a 69 (or 70) V8 2WD, the VIN will start with CE249 (or CE240) - the rest would be on your frame. (not 100% certain that the plant code made it onto all frames - if your frame VIN starts with a letter, it is most likely the plant code). If it's a 69 or 70 as you noted, the 327 is not original.

However, DMV is not likely to "run some possible VINs" for you to see if they aren't titled - and then give you a title based on that - but who knows.

I'd recommend that you go to the DMV and see what hoops they want you to jump through (and they will probably ask why/how you bought a truck with no title). After that, you'll probably want to chase something else.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
44carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Frame is only a partial VIN, but it should have the build plant code and final 6 of the digits of the VIN. If it's a 69 (or 70) V8 2WD, the VIN will start with CE249 (or CE240) - the rest would be on your frame. (not 100% certain that the plant code made it onto all frames - if your frame VIN starts with a letter, it is most likely the plant code). If it's a 69 or 70 as you noted, the 327 is not original.

However, DMV is not likely to "run some possible VINs" for you to see if they aren't titled - and then give you a title based on that - but who knows.

I'd recommend that you go to the DMV and see what hoops they want you to jump through (and they will probably ask why/how you bought a truck with no title). After that, you'll probably want to chase something else.
CE249 exactly and with the frame digit I might have a chance. I'm not sold that it's a 327, or 307. Might even be a 350 it is a 39700010 block, I think that number is right. It's too cold out but I'll be gathering every number on it soon. Yes I will end up at the DMV but I can run a few suspected number online for free and start narrowing down. Fun stuff
Old 12-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
jocko

Believe 39700010 block is a 69+ 350, so it could be original. Is there a stamping on the engine ID pad? (front of block, at heat mating surface, passenger side) The letters of the stamping will give an idea if it could have been original. It won't tell you if it IS original, only if it could be original (i.e. no partial VIN matching on truck engines of this era)
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
44carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Believe 39700010 block is a 69+ 350, so it could be original. Is there a stamping on the engine ID pad? (front of block, at heat mating surface, passenger side) The letters of the stamping will give an idea if it could have been original. It won't tell you if it IS original, only if it could be original (i.e. no partial VIN matching on truck engines of this era)
Yes I ran the suffix a few years ago and it matched the possibility for this truck. Ran the head numbers and transmission tag too. Everything worked I just didn't write anything down at the time cause the body was gonna be parted/scrapped.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #9
44carl

Also at the time I presumed all "010" blocks were 350 CI so that's why I bought the truck plus it had a TurboHydramatic 400..no brainer for the less than $800 I paid. Now I see that the 302 and 327 had the same casting #. I presumed it was a 307 or 327 because of the smaller Rochester 2bll carb(guessing). For some doubters, I have seen quite a few factory installed 327's in 1969 and late as 1970 Chevy trucks, Novas, Chevelles and Impala/Biscaynes so it is not an impossibility. Also consider a casting number is not concrete when they started changing bores and strokes in 68' thru 73' to come up with what we call 327-307-302-283-305-350.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:32 AM   #10
lil hoodlum

I believe 327's were still available in 1969. 327's did come with the Th400 for the automatics. I don't believe the carburetor would have been a 2 barrel though. 307's did come with the 2 barrel carburetor. However most of the 3970010's block were 350's but some sources say it could have been a 302 or 327.

Last edited by lil hoodlum; 12-25-2020 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
lil hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:45 AM   #11
dmjlambert

If you're interested in titling the vehicle and getting it on the road I suggest contact an auto title company and find out if it will be possible. It could be it will remain a parts vehicle. I think the title company will know.

Here is the business card of of the title company I used. In my case I had a VIN plate on the truck, but the title had become irrelevant and couldn't be transferred to me because of decades of the truck sitting unregistered, so I had paperwork to do with Tuesdee's help to get it titled again. The paperwork and fees were a few hundred dollars, if I recall correctly about $400. My situation was different from yours. I suggest call on Monday.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
BigBird05

Carl44 Check the rear axle numbers too.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Is the spid in the glovebox or the blue sticker on the driver's door? They'll have the vin.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #14
cj847

Check your DMV for options. Should be on their website. There are lots of options. For example, in Arkansas you can apply for a title for a vehicle built from parts, but it requires a bill of sale for ALL of the parts. There is also the option to title like a kit car that you buy and build. I think there are 8-10 methods in AR.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
44carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
Carl44 Check the rear axle numbers too.
will do
Old 12-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
44carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Is the spid in the glovebox or the blue sticker on the driver's door? They'll have the vin.
it's unreadable what hasn't been scraped off unfortunately
Old 12-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #17
Keith Seymore

These might be of help to you:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=570059
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #18
44carl

Ah yes very good thank you!
Old 12-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #19
Rickysnickers

If worse comes to worse, you can also try your local police department, specifically the an auto theft detective. He/she should have access to several databases that the DMV will not have access to. This detective, hopefully, might be able to dig something up on the truck and locate the VIN for you that way. I Googled and this is your local PD criminal investigations, https://www.paristexas.gov/126/Criminal-Investigations
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #20
pjmoreland

I registered a truck in Colorado that I bought without a title. The DMV made me buy a title insurance policy to cover the cost of someone laying claim to ownership of the vehicle after it was registered in my name.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:14 AM   #21
RustyPile

Texas has a process used to obtain titles for abandoned vehicles, lost titles, and various other "not title" situations.. If you properly jump through the hoops, don't try to create short cuts submitting the paperwork, and do their biddings in a timely manner, you will come out the other end with a perfectly legal title..

I've acquired a few titles using the "bonded title" route.. Start by contacting your local LEO run Texas Auto Theft Taskforce.. They'll want to see a Bill of Sale, and conduct a Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection. If your vehicle doesn't have a complete VIN, the Taskforce will assign a new one, and affix it to the vehicle for you...

Along the way, you'll need to submit paperwork that involves small application fees.. The last two Bonded Titles cost me a combined total of Less than $300, including the Bond for them..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Texas has a process used to obtain titles for abandoned vehicles, lost titles, and various other "not title" situations.. If you properly jump through the hoops, don't try to create short cuts submitting the paperwork, and do their biddings in a timely manner, you will come out the other end with a perfectly legal title..

I've acquired a few titles using the "bonded title" route.. Start by contacting your local LEO run Texas Auto Theft Taskforce.. They'll want to see a Bill of Sale, and conduct a Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection. If your vehicle doesn't have a complete VIN, the Taskforce will assign a new one, and affix it to the vehicle for you...

Along the way, you'll need to submit paperwork that involves small application fees.. The last two Bonded Titles cost me a combined total of Less than $300, including the Bond for them..
I think the issue for the OP is Texas bonded title route requires a VTR68a.

In other words, it will have to be inspected by the Department of Public Safety at one of their regional inspection stations first. IDK, the DPS might assign a VIN number without a plate
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:24 AM   #23
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I think the issue for the OP is Texas bonded title route requires a VTR68a.

In other words, it will have to be inspected by the Department of Public Safety at one of their regional inspection stations first. IDK, the DPS might assign a VIN number without a plate
Not so.. I know exactly how it works, I've been through the bonded title acquisition process twice. I never set foot in a DPS facility during either transaction..

To start the ball rolling, I filled out a Bonded Title Application form (VTR-130-SOF) and submitted it to the County Tax Accessor Collector's office along with a $15.00 fee. It's also known as a Hearing Statement of Fact form.. The VTR-68-A is the form I alluded to in my previous post.. It's also called Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection form.. In Texas it's issued by an agent of the Texas Auto Theft Task Force if/when the vehicle passes the "back ground check".. These agents can be Police Detectives, Sheriff Deputies, AND/OR Texas Department of Public Safety officers..

The inspection isn't to determine the "condition" of the vehicle, safe operation is not a requirement. it's primary purpose is to determine if the vehicle was ever reported stolen or has an old unsatisfied lien attached to it. The minimum requirement is an engine block and frame.. The engine has to be attached to the frame... The front of the engine block in one of my vehicles was sitting on a piece of pipe and had one bolt in a frame-to-engine mount. The engine in both my vehicles were bare blocks.. Nothing else is required.. The vehicle/engine is NOT required to be in running condition, just that it's there.. Both of my VTR-68-As were filled out, signed, and the inspection conducted by Tyler, Texas Police Department Detectives... One vehicle has the original VIN intact, and the other was issued a new VIN that was issued by Texas DMV and was attached by those detectives....
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote