The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
Short 3/4

Re: 66 K-10 Steering Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't throw good things out either. I have some 2wd manual steering boxes from low mile C/30s that got converted to 4wd. I figure they are good for any number of things, possibly non-automotive. I have some granny 4spds too, same reason. I might want to make a merry-go-round or something

I kept this '69 W200 manual. I was young and never gave the effort a thought. I got the "Armstrong steering" comments all the time.
Wow, great flashback. I also had a 69 Power Wagon in the 70's, back when my hair also went down to my shoulders. Mine was white with a blue grill. Also had manual steering, which was never a problem. Didn't have large tires on it, but it did have a heavy old big block over the front axle.
Had a one ton square body company truck in the late 80's with manual steering. Worst truck I've ever driven. That small steering wheel just didn't work, and obviously they changed the gearing on the box, probably to get people to spring for the more expensive power set up. The 66 with manual that I drove to and from work on the other hand, was absolutely no problem to drive, go figure.
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #2
chtr65

Interesting comments. I took delivery of the truck about 1 1/2 years ago. I drove it from the trailer to my shop, about 1/8th of a mile. First time I had driven an original 4X4. I didn't think the manual steering was not that bad. The original big steering wheel helps. I think of it as part of the character of the truck. The steering box in question was an extra that I acquired along the way. The manual steering box on the truck is in nice condition, although I may have it sent out to have rebuilt. Any suggestions as to where to send it for rebuilding?
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:31 AM   #3
Short 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtr65 View Post
Interesting comments. I took delivery of the truck about 1 1/2 years ago. I drove it from the trailer to my shop, about 1/8th of a mile. First time I had driven an original 4X4. I didn't think the manual steering was not that bad. The original big steering wheel helps. I think of it as part of the character of the truck. The steering box in question was an extra that I acquired along the way. The manual steering box on the truck is in nice condition, although I may have it sent out to have rebuilt. Any suggestions as to where to send it for rebuilding?
I had mine rebuilt by a local shop with part from local parts store. Same place also did a 66 2wd box for me some years back and both came out great. My advice is to find an independent shop where either the owner or mechanic has a few gray hairs. Most old timers have rebuilt a bunch of these things. Apparently fairly easy to rebuild, but if you adjust it wrong it's easy to ruin it, so one of the few jobs I leave to the pros.
Good luck,
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Old 01-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
Wow, great flashback. I also had a 69 Power Wagon in the 70's, back when my hair also went down to my shoulders. Mine was white with a blue grill. Also had...
Pretty cool we both had the same truck on opposite coasts in opposite colors . I used the factory color when I painted it. But I used a '68 donor for most of the body when I restored it. That cab was starting to rust when I bought it in '77

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #5
Short 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Pretty cool we both had the same truck on opposite coasts in opposite colors . I used the factory color when I painted it. But I used a '68 donor for most of the body when I restored it. That cab was starting to rust when I bought it in '77
Ya, bodies not a strong point on those old Dodges. Been meaning to post a picture on the "other makes" thread if I can get my wife to show me how
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear