The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
bartamos

66 4x4 Need How To Upgrade To Rubber Front Shackle Bushings

How do I get rid of the bronze/brass type shackle bushings on my 66 Chevy suburban 4X4. Will the cast shackle from a 67 and up bolt on? That is the first year of rubber bushings which are readily available right? How many parts will I have to change? Keep my springs and hangers?

Last edited by bartamos; 07-02-2004 at 08:17 PM.
bartamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:52 AM   #2
carryallnut

Hello,
anything is possible, but how much work do you want to get involved in. IF you want to use a later shackle you will see that the width of the springs is wider than the ones you have, er. buy new springs or take the entire set-up from the donor truck! You would have to cut the old shackles off and install the new ones where another problem arises. The new springs are longer than the '66 springs. You currently have crossmembers that support the twisting of the springs against the frame and keep everything from cracking. With longer springs that's no longer the case. I just redid all my springs on my '66 4x4 Suburban. I went to the local spring shop and bought everything off the shelf. It was very easy to do.
Hope this helps!!
carryallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
bartamos

Im trying to find a donor year that has shackles that I can de-rivet and bolt on in near or same holes as old shackles. then get springs made or find same length wider springs.
dont think its too hard if I can find the right donor. Thanks. Ill let you know.
bartamos is offline   Reply With Quote