The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
landarts
landarts

Plow Truck Spotted For Sally

Yesterday while I was out of town on a little get away with the wife we spotted a 72 Custom K20 3/4 ton 4x4 plow truck with a "For Sally" sign on it. I pulled over and took a walk around and snapped a few pictures. Jumped back in the truck and headed home about two and half hours away. Thinking about the truck and what I would do to it and what the history is. I noticed when I was there it had a chrome emblem mounted on the side of the cowl from one of my close by hometown dealerships "Edmark Chevrolet" in Nampa Idaho.

I called the gentleman that owned the truck when I got home and had a nice discussion with him about the truck.

This is the version he told me:

He said the truck has had a plow on the front for over twenty years and the truck is a running driving working truck. He said that the paint would buff out and there was just superficial rust in a few places. He stated to the right buyer a guy could fixit up and get 60K for it. Because of that factor he was asking 8k for the truck.

Here is what I saw on this truck when I did the walk around:

The truck had original paint, what was left of it. Drivers fender badge said Custom Deluxe C/20 and the passenger fender was just Custom/20, so not really sure of the actual package but my best guess would be Custom Deluxe because of paint scheme and lower trim package. The front bumper and brackets were mangled pretty good, frame tweak in that area. Fender cups dented and rusted on both sides, battery box was toast as well as the inner fender on battery side. Inner fenders were not in the best of shape. Hood sitting sideways on the front, possible latch issue or spring issue. Missing trim in a few locations, rust through rockers, inner rockers toast and possible other rust issues in the A and B pillar from what I could see. Signs of rust up in the drip edging on the truck from what I could see since it had a nice pile of snow on top. Rust holes in the doors at the bottom, floor rust holes that you could see through. Rear portion of front fender aprons rust issues, rear aprons on bed same thing. Could not see the bed floor since it was full of snow. Also could not check out the interior floors and kick panels since doors were locked. Windshield broken and all rubber on the truck was toast. Another factor that is hard to tell is is there any frame or front end damage from being used as a plow truck.

What the truck did have going was that the body was actually very straight. Also it was a running driving truck that about ten years ago had a crate motor installed. I did not feel that it was a 8K truck from all of the items that I could see and I did not want to get on the wet cold ground and expect the underside. If he would have been about half that price I would probably try to pursue the truck and negotiate. However he told me at least three or four times that the truck would bring 60K easily with a little cleanup and fix a few items. So I did not feel it was worth the effort trying to negotiate for a fair price. Anyways here is the truck as of yesterday afternoon.

I would love to hear a few comments on what you might think the truck is worth.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: Plow Truck Spotted For Sally

I think your assessment is pretty solid and I also think you weren't going to get him to understand that.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
sick472

You know this, of course....that paint is not buffing out and superficial rust in not see-through. That alone would make me not want to deal with them even if the price was right! They are looking to swindle (or at least daffy). I'm no expert on our truck values, but will say that a working 4x4 with a plow has got to fetch 2-4 thousand. Throw in the classic vibe...5 tops and it better have some docs on the newer motor. If the paint will buff out, the motor may be out of a 170K mileage junker.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #4
palallin

Red face Re: Plow Truck Spotted For Sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
a working 4x4 with a plow has got to fetch 2-4 thousand.
In this case, true if the plow is worth 3 thousand (it isn't).

I'd bet that here is more than a little frame tweak in that front end. Plowing snow is very hard on a pickup, and that truck looks to have been plowing a lot of snow for a long time. It'll take more than a minor adjustment to even out that hood.

It wouldn't work, of course, but I'd offer 8 HUNDRED if I get the plow, 4 hundred if not.

But I am no expert either!
Old 02-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

If it runs decent, starts, stops and the plow works the way it should, $4000 isn't out of the question.
I think opinions will really vary on this one depending on where you live. A running driving junk plow truck here would be $1000- $1500
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #6
Sheepdip

This kind of stuff reminds me Craigslist adds.....the first picture is a let's say pristine 65 convertible GTO and a price of $15K then the other 10 pic's (the actual car for sale for $15k) are of some rusted out rat invested Lemans with no motor, trans or interior and maybe a door missing.

But the first pic is what it could be!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

As been said location location location. A 10k truck here in NY would be a 3k truck elsewhere
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I’ve been noticing over the last year or two a very steady increase in prices to buy 4x4 trucks. I don’t think that one is worth 8K and certainly not likely to be worth 60K in the condition the seller mentions, but I’ve seen several cases recently of nicely optioned K Trucks in decent condition bringing more than nicely optioned real swb C10’s, in similar condition. Maybe it’s just around here, idk, but I’ve been noticing it more and more lately. I’d say 3-4K with the plow is fair if it runs well, with no major mechanical issues and the frame isn’t trash. I’m curious if I’m only one who has seen it get incredibly difficult to find half decent, buildable 4x4’s for reasonable prices as of late. I realize this has become the norm with pretty much all the 67-72 variants.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #9
72c20customcamper

4x4 will always bring more up here than 2 wheel . In my driveway all 5 vehicles are 4 wheel drive it's a necessity here and because they are used in the bad weather they rot faster too. I just bought a 85 k20 love the truck but I wont be using it in winter though . Just wanted it

But really that truck at 4k would go quick here. Even if it was just used to plow the driveway and never put on the road . They get 125 to 150 a shot here to plow.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
landarts
landarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
I’ve been noticing over the last year or two a very steady increase in prices to buy 4x4 trucks. I don’t think that one is worth 8K and certainly not likely to be worth 60K in the condition the seller mentions, but I’ve seen several cases recently of nicely optioned K Trucks in decent condition bringing more than nicely optioned real swb C10’s, in similar condition. Maybe it’s just around here, idk, but I’ve been noticing it more and more lately. I’d say 3-4K with the plow is fair if it runs well, with no major mechanical issues and the frame isn’t trash. I’m curious if I’m only one who has seen it get incredibly difficult to find half decent, buildable 4x4’s for reasonable prices as of late. I realize this has become the norm with pretty much all the 67-72 variants.
57taskforce
I agree with just about everything you said above. Prices have been going up lately and I have seen some sell for about twice what they are actually worth. I actually sold one last year for for $4500 that I picked up a year before that for $1000. The truck was a project with rust and not motor. The guy that wanted the truck was looking for that color combo and it being a Cheyenne package truck. He paid the $4500 and shipping cost from Idaho to California. Saw it last week on a Facebook Marketplace ad for sale for $7500 with nothing done to it.
68 Second Chance

72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 AM   #11
ChevyRacefan

Threads like this suck. The owner thinks it is worth what he does and in that market he might get it. He might also not really be interest in selling it. just everything is for sale if someone offers the right amount.
The o/p is just being a rightous @$$. Clearly he was interested, but because he could not get it for what he wants to pay, he makes another 67-72 truck owner out to be a jack@$$.
If he got it for what he wanted to pay, it be a thread of look what I scored.
Men of character don't do this, they move on.
The seller can ask whatever he wants. when they over price them , they tend to have no interest in honestly selling it.
Me, If a guy that lives 3.5 hours away didn't knock on my door when looking at truck, then called later, I would see as just yanking my chain, so I would return the favor. And from the threads starting post. I think the "seller" just returned the favor. knowing he had a tire kicker on the phone. As no one 3.5 hours away doesn't try to talk to the seller when there. People are not as dumb as many like to believe. your mileage may vary
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:57 AM   #12
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
However he told me at least three or four times that the truck would bring 60K easily with a little cleanup and fix a few items.
If his statement above were true, seems like it would be in his best interest finacially to do a little cleanup and fix a few items. I'm sure it would take a lot more than that to bring in 60K.

I can say I do see people asking for $6,000+ for 67-72 with no motor and no transmission here in the DFW area. Not sure what people are actually paying for them though. The prices on these trucks have gone up tremendously the past few years.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan View Post
Threads like this suck. The owner thinks it is worth what he does and in that market he might get it. He might also not really be interest in selling it. just everything is for sale if someone offers the right amount.
The o/p is just being a rightous @$$. Clearly he was interested, but because he could not get it for what he wants to pay, he makes another 67-72 truck owner out to be a jack@$$.
The seller can ask whatever he wants. when they over price them , they tend to have no interest in honestly selling it.
Me, If a guy that lives 3.5 hours away didn't knock on my door when looking at truck, then called later, I would see as just yanking my chain, so I would return the favor. And from the threads starting post. I think the "seller" just returned the favor. knowing he had a tire kicker on the phone. As no one 3.5 hours away doesn't try to talk to the seller when there. People are not as dumb as many like to believe. your mileage may vary
You could be wrong.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-02-2021 at 08:31 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #14
Boog
laying low

Doesn't look like there are any lights on in that business anyway so likely no one there to talk to. I would say the OP is well versed in how to buy vehicles.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
landarts
landarts

I have never been attacked on this forum before and not really sure why I was this time. So I will will try to address ChevyRaceFan and correct any of the false comments that were addressed.

Quote:
I agree with this assesment.

Quote:
I disagree here, show me one thing I said that makes someone look bad. I just shared his opinion exactly the way I heard it during our conversation.

Quote:
If he got it for what he wanted to pay, it be a thread of look what I scored. Men of character don't do this, they move on.
Obviously you don't know me, you say that if it would of gone a different way I would be bragging. No it would be a thread of how do I bring this back to life like I have done several times on this forum. Sharing the journey and the fight to get one more back into shape and on the road.

Quote:
I agree here on this one. He actually does want to sell it because he bought a couple of Ford F-350 with plows rigged up for his property management business. He stated that this truck was just a back up and is not getting used at all. I think he really does want to sell the truck.

Quote:
Me, If a guy that lives 3.5 hours away didn't knock on my door when looking at truck, then called later, I would see as just yanking my chain, so I would return the favor.
Actually I did knock on the door of the business where it was parked and no one answered. I did not call the number that minute because I was with my wife on a birthday get away for her and was trying to keep eveything about the day about her. I also like to sit down and look over my notes and pictures before I make a call on a truck. I have bought a few over the years on a excited urge and had way more surprizes than I could count. If it were up to me I would buy them all just because I love these trucks so much

Quote:
And from the threads starting post. I think the "seller" just returned the favor. knowing he had a tire kicker on the phone. As no one 3.5 hours away doesn't try to talk to the seller when there. People are not as dumb as many like to believe. your mileage may vary
Here is where you are off base. I have never been a tire kicker, not once. In the last year I have purchased five K20's and one 1/2 ton truck from various platforms like Facebook Market Place, Craigslist, side of the road on a farm, a member her on this forum. So no I am not a tire kicker at all. I do this as a hobby and enjoy the build process and bringing something back to life. I share most of the builds here on this forum and help people as much as I can with their questions. I get few P.M. messages a week from people asking advice and I offer up what I can. If I have ever offended someone or came off like an A$$$ then maybe it is time for me to step away from this forum and go live in corner somewhere. I am not responding to you comments to make you feel anyway, just want you to have all of the facts and if you are still offended or feel the need to call me out as an A$$$ then I guess you will.
68 Second Chance

72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
Old 02-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #16
Greg58

Some opinions are best kept to yourself.
Remember what Thumper's mother said...
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #17
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
I have never been attacked on this forum before and not really sure why I was this time. So I will will try to address ChevyRaceFan and correct any of the false comments that were addressed.

I agree with this assesment.

I disagree here, show me one thing I said that makes someone look bad. I just shared his opinion exactly the way I heard it during our conversation.

Obviously you don't know me, you say that if it would of gone a different way I would be bragging. No it would be a thread of how do I bring this back to life like I have done several times on this forum. Sharing the journey and the fight to get one more back into shape and on the road.

I agree here on this one. He actually does want to sell it because he bought a couple of Ford F-350 with plows rigged up for his property management business. He stated that this truck was just a back up and is not getting used at all. I think he really does want to sell the truck.

Actually I did knock on the door of the business where it was parked and no one answered. I did not call the number that minute because I was with my wife on a birthday get away for her and was trying to keep eveything about the day about her. I also like to sit down and look over my notes and pictures before I make a call on a truck. I have bought a few over the years on a excited urge and had way more surprizes than I could count. If it were up to me I would buy them all just because I love these trucks so much

Here is where you are off base. I have never been a tire kicker, not once. In the last year I have purchased five K20's and one 1/2 ton truck from various platforms like Facebook Market Place, Craigslist, side of the road on a farm, a member her on this forum. So no I am not a tire kicker at all. I do this as a hobby and enjoy the build process and bringing something back to life. I share most of the builds here on this forum and help people as much as I can with their questions. I get few P.M. messages a week from people asking advice and I offer up what I can. If I have ever offended someone or came off like an A$$$ then maybe it is time for me to step away from this forum and go live in corner somewhere. I am not responding to you comments to make you feel anyway, just want you to have all of the facts and if you are still offended or feel the need to call me out as an A$$$ then I guess you will.
Your good landarts, I believe the problem in this thread lies elsewhere. I follow your builds closely in the 4x4 section. Your not an ass at all.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #18
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
I find it pretty low to question a man’s character you’ve never met or dealt with in person. Lots can be lost in print on the internet vs a firm handshake and a conversation in person. Let’s all try to stay civil here and not get this thread closed down.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #19
custom10nut

That $8k is the “it’s not really For Sale” price. Of course you know living where you are, those pesky “Rust Moths” have probably got the whole under side eaten up. I grew up on a Dairy Farm in the Thumb of Michigan, and would see vehicles not last til the end of the loan before they rusted out.
I’m in East Tennessee now and lovin it
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #20
best view

Landarts would be my first choice to look over one of these trucks for me if I was looking that guy most have not read all his resto articles lol
best view is offline   Reply With Quote