The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2021, 12:29 AM   #5
Accelo

Re: What brake fluid to run

I am going to post another (manufactures) opinion below.
It isn't my opinion. Just theirs. I suggest you use which every fluid suits you best.
I for one am still looking for a long term study of the best fluid for old cars.
I do know Corvette owners do not like the Dot5 fluids as it will acquire air through the caliper seals if the rotor run-out is much less than perfect.
I did notice the caveat "which non-petroleum based fluid is specified"
For what it's worth;

DOT 5 silicone brake fluid
DOT 5 silicone brake fluid is a very high specification fluid based on polydimethylsiloxanes (silicones) and offers many advantages over conventional glycol based fluids. Silicone fluid does not absorb water from the surrounding atmosphere while in service and therefore offers greatly extended service life whilst improving corrosion resistance of the main components of the braking system.

Recommended for use in the hydraulic brake and clutch systems of all cars, commercial vehicles and motorcycles for which non-petroleum based fluid is specified. Particularly recommended for classic cars or vehicles that are garaged for much of their life but must be usable at short notice.

This fluid must only ever be mixed with DOT 5 fluid which has the same silicone base. Never mix DOT 5 with regular glycol based fluids.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote