The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
Justin71105

CPP/Summit column

Needing a column for my 64 and was seeing if anyone had experience with the cpp or summit columns....good or bad.

The local shop is recommended a flamming river or idit, but goshdang they are $1100. Dont know if its worth the extra cost over the cpp/summit. Wanting a 30" with tilt and column shift.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: CPP/Summit column

I just did a quick search on Summit, and it didn't show they had any of their own brands. Flaming River and Ididit were listed and some were a lot less than the $1100 you were quoted.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...del/c10-pickup
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
Justin71105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I just did a quick search on Summit, and it didn't show they had any of their own brands. Flaming River and Ididit were listed and some were a lot less than the $1100 you were quoted.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...del/c10-pickup
The one I want is around 1k with tax and more when I add the parts I would need that come on the cpp column.

Just looking for advice from anyone who has the cheaper column what issues they have seen. Hard to stomach $1000 on a steering column.

Idit: 850 + tax
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-1130300051
FR 900+ tax
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr20021nebk
Summit brand:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-771703b-nk

Last edited by Justin71105; 04-26-2021 at 03:46 PM.
Justin71105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

CPP has one that’s just like the 71/72 c10 tilt auto column.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
Justin71105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
CPP has one that’s just like the 71/72 c10 tilt auto column.

Emailed cpp yesterday to get a price on ecerything needed with column. They have lifetime garranty as well so thats a bonus, hoing to out a stock 59 column in it tomorrow with my 03 silverado seats and see how much room I have. Pretty sure I will be wanting a 30" column though. My bothers 57' with those seats and stock column sits way too close for me.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin71105 View Post
Needing a column for my 64 and was seeing if anyone had experience with the cpp or summit columns....good or bad.

The local shop is recommended a flamming river or idit, but goshdang they are $1100. Dont know if its worth the extra cost over the cpp/summit. Wanting a 30" with tilt and column shift.
If I knew how to do it I would post the report that originally came from Australia or New Zealand...different countries, but good report with visual and support....that country did tests on all the available columns, guess lots of hot rods being built there, bottom line, ONLY columns to be used there are Ididit, Flaming River, or Limeworks.
All the CPP and such drastically failed the tests, the proof was in the pictures of the failed internals...your life and lives of others may depend on this part....the choice is yours....
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
Justin71105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT65 View Post
If I knew how to do it I would post the report that originally came from Australia or New Zealand...different countries, but good report with visual and support....that country did tests on all the available columns, guess lots of hot rods being built there, bottom line, ONLY columns to be used there are Ididit, Flaming River, or Limeworks.
All the CPP and such drastically failed the tests, the proof was in the pictures of the failed internals...your life and lives of others may depend on this part....the choice is yours....
I found the report along with those 3 billet specialties also received approval adter teardown. I can stomach their peice a little more than idit, but its still around 500$. Other option is to find a used one to out in it which I may still try to hunt down.

The report is several years old so there likely has been change made from all of them whether good or bad.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/in...ng_Columns.pdf
Old 04-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Troy Sr

I bought a used CPP column and then did research on it. Everything I found said not to used them and that they are dangerous. They are of poor quality and poorly designed! Probably the reason for the lower price! I now have a chrome column that I'll never use!!! Do some research before you buy!!!
Old 04-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
kens65fb

Quote:
That report that you are referring to is 8 years old, they have been significantly re-engineered, since then.
I have NEVER had a problem with any product that I purchased from Summit, or CPP.
I have installed several CPP steering columns, and each has performed well.

The report that you cite is from May 2013, (8 years ago)

Here is a link https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infos...ng_Columns.pdf

Last edited by kens65fb; 04-27-2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: ....
kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
kens65fb

Here is a link to steering columns at summit, you can see in the reveiws that they are favorably reviewed.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ering%20column
Old 04-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #11
AcampoDave

Maybe it would be smart to talk to Kevsclassics. He is a member here and his specialty is steering columns. A friend of mine bought one from him and it's a beauty.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #12
lil hoodlum

I personally have 2 IDIDIT steering columns. I have 2 1968 trucks, one a C10 and the other a C20. Have had the one in the C10 at least 15 years and is my daily driver, have had 0 issues with it.

On the 67-72 side of the forum several members over there have purchased the CPP column and have reported it to be junk, loose, and sloppy.

$1,000 +/- may be a lot of money for a steering column, but it's worth it not only for your safety but also for the safety of others on the road.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #13
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens65fb View Post

That report that you are referring to is 8 years old, they have been significantly re-engineered, since then.
I have NEVER had a problem with any product that I purchased from Summit, or CPP.
I have installed several CPP steering columns, and each has performed well.

The report that you cite is from May 2013, (8 years ago)

Here is a link https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infos...ng_Columns.pdf
That may be, if you like them, good for you, I use a lot of things from Summit...the Chinese Performance Products..not so much...really prefer USA made products...have had clients bring in said columns and want me to install them...the easy answer is NO, not here go elsewhere...
Old 04-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #14
kens65fb

Quote:
That may be, if you like them, good for you, I use a lot of things from Summit...the Chinese Performance Products..not so much...really prefer USA made products...have had clients bring in said columns and want me to install them...the easy answer is NO, not here go elsewhere...
I guess if it is the most expensive, it must be the best.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #15
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens65fb View Post
I guess if it is the most expensive, it must be the best.
Personally I don’t run on that theory, I run on safety, strength and reliability, cost is not my determination, if I can’t build on those three principles, I want nothing to do with the project. An old friend told me when I was younger “Good aint cheap and Cheap aint good”...we all have different criteria we build by, I’m comfortable in mine....
Old 04-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #16
Justin71105

Anyone running newer silverado/tahoe seats with built in belts.

If so is a 30" a good length to go with?

I dont have a column at all to compare stock 33" with to see if its going to be crowded with buckets over the bench.

Summit has a ididit column shoft for $640 I am going to look at getting. Just doesn't come with the gear indicator from the looks of it and is paintable instead of chrome.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #17
AcampoDave

At minium, I would take an old broomstick or a piece of pvc pipe or whatever, and screw an old frisbee or a paper plate to it and use it for a mockup steering column. My personal preference is a 1.5 inch pvc pipe fastened to the actual steering column mounts and a smaller diameter pipe inside it with the wheel I want to use attached to it. Then, with the firewall side at it's determined destination, I incrementally shorten the interior pipe replacing the wheel between cuts until I find the ideal column length for the driver. Lastly, just measure the final verdict and place the order.
I wouldn't take anyone's recommendation for something like a steering column length because there are too many variables with regard to physical build and personal preference.
Edit, you will find that once you start poking around in the pvc pipe and fittings isle of your local hardware store, that you can dang near make a rather realistic mockup column that will actually mount up in the truck for not very much money at all.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 04-29-2021 at 07:15 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote