The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Disc Brake Questions...

So my 68 C10 has a 6-lug front disc swap from an unknown manufacturer (while it has CPP drop spindles I dont see any markings on the booster, master cylinder, rotors, or calipers). Front discs are currently about 12" and are 1.25 thick. I'm swapping the rear to 5 lug with axles, but kinda of stuck on the fronts because I don't know what it currently has on it. Do I need to know for compatibility or can any later 5 lug front rotor presumably be swapped on?

I'm also switching to rear discs (from stock drums) and it seems there is some question as to whether a new proportioning valve is needed, if it needs to be adjustable (or maybe put an adjustable in-line somewhere under the truck), or just a generic disc/disc one from summit that looks identical to the one I have on there now. Currently the valve I have on it only has one output for the front brakes (1/4 line which then splits into 2 3/16 lines after a distribution block near the front crossmember)-seems like most of the disc/disc valves have 2 outputs for the front brakes (could I just plug one?). Thoughts?

Any, final question, does anyone make a stainless braided drop hose for the rearend from frame to the rearend distribution block? Did some searching and could only really find a replacement rubber one and I figured I would upgrade (or at the very least look prettier) while Im replacing it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by AllGoNoShow; 06-17-2021 at 03:20 PM.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
gmc684x4

Re: Disc Brake Questions...

You can get rotors from parts store 71 to 79 will get you 5 bolt rotors 80 ish on you have to say hd brakes to get the same rotor

Yes you will need a different proportioning valve to convert to rear disc brakes

I was looking into this rear brakes are only 30 % stopping power cost of conversion parts have went up i will just get new rear drums and add a hydro booster to my ride and be done with it

Last edited by gmc684x4; 06-17-2021 at 06:33 PM.
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote