The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Blackhawkdc
440 american Horses

Flamin exhaust

Hey all, just now tweaking my system for flame shooting exhaust. I've got the ignition system all dialed in for it, just tweaking the carb now and a couple other things to produce some moderate flames on acceleration. Who all out there would be interested in a system like this, should I market it? Any of you out there whom have played with flames before ever played with injecting gas or windshield washer fluid into the exhaust to get the really nice long flames? I've got some ideas for that, just want to tweak the carb to produce flames on its on first. But let me know what kind of interest there is in this and I may put together a kit, or at least diagrams and instructions for sale.

Happy shootin,

Seth Petro

1969 Chev Short Step
425hp 350, TH400, big tires, fast truck
1979 Pontiac Trans Am
1991 Saturn SL1 - gas mileage! (and free)
1977 Buick LeSabre - for sale

May America bless God, and may God bless America
Blackhawkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
cdowns

injecting windsheild washer fluid?? all that does is steam because it's soapy water !!
make sure you keep a fire extinguisher handy for when you set the truck on fire . and start savin for a new set of heads when you burn the valvesup!! otherwise it sounds like you're on top of it!!!
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

here is a link to a guy selling the kit on Ebay for $40.00 (it sounds alot safer than injecting flamable liquids into the exhaust). LINK

Shawn
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Blackhawk, There are a few systems already out for just this, And We OLD timers didn't use the new computer stuff they are today, It was a Rich carb and an extra coil hooked to a Spark Plug through a toggle switch. I never knew or heard of anyone doing any damage whatsoever to anything in the Motor, or exhaust,, But then again, I sure didn't know everyone out there using the Old time method.

I'd be happy to let everyone know what my old time hook up was, Free of charge.. But they say the new computer set ups are really great, and you don't have to run the carb rich..
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Bowl a Pintos and a BIC will do it too.

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11

Last edited by BtnkBndt; 07-13-2004 at 09:51 PM. Reason: reep bop anna skittle dee dum du bee
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:26 PM   #6
thisolechevy

Wow Ron WoodGeard I would love to know how to do it the ole' skool way!!! would e-mail me the setup??
thisolechevygotgoods@hotmail.com
Old 07-14-2004, 02:59 AM   #7
RON WOODGEARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisolechevy
Wow Ron WoodGeard I would love to know how to do it the ole' skool way!!! would e-mail me the setup??
thisolechevygotgoods@hotmail.com

Really very simple, You need a spark plug at the end of your exhaust, About 6" to 12" from the end,(Both exhaust pipes if it's dualed) You'll need to weld in a "Bung" to screw the plug into.(we used Nuts) It will need to go through the exhaust tube. Now wire a Spare coil/s through a toggle switch, The coil wire will go to the Spark plug/s.
I had this set up on my 57 Ranchero, 312 Dual exhaust, with burned out Glasspacks. I would turn the key off, pump the gas a few times to get extra fuel into the exhaust, ( some guys just ran their carbs real rich on the bottom end, and didn't turn their ignition off and on) then after turning the key back on, hit the switch to fire the plugs in the exhaust. I had a friend that welded in a fitting in just ahead of the spark plug for a 1/4" copper tubing, then he hooked the other end to the windshield washer . That one always scared the heck outa me... Some guys used two plugs in each tailpipe also.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:33 AM   #8
Cethern
What was I thinking??

I'm guessing you missed the Trucks! show where Sandy did this on a old pickup. someone makes a kit to just that if you go to their web site you mite find it in a back show area or something.

In short the kit had a deal to cut the igntion off for a short bit and a spark plug in the exhust pipe.

Cethern
Old 07-14-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
Putter
More Cowbell....

AutoLoc sells the electronic kit featured on TRUCKS!

AutoLoc
Old 07-14-2004, 12:12 PM   #10
thisolechevy

Yeah I've seen the kit but I don't want to pay$100-120 for something I know I can do. And by the way Ron WoodGeard you said "coil/s" one for each exhaust pipe???
Old 07-14-2004, 03:56 PM   #11
RON WOODGEARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisolechevy
Yeah I've seen the kit but I don't want to pay$100-120 for something I know I can do. And by the way Ron WoodGeard you said "coil/s" one for each exhaust pipe???
Yes, And of course mount them back by the end of the exhaust within sparkplug wire distance from the plug/s.

Cethern,
If you'll read my earlier post I said there was a couple of companies that already make a kit, with new electronics...

Shawn.
Your link didn't go through.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #12
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

I just tried the link and it worked for me - but Oh well, if it doesnt work search for "Flame Thrower" on Ebay the kit is 40.00. I don't know anything about the guy selling them or even if they work, but it looks all electronic and it seems safer than injecting some form of fuel into the exhaust system to make flames.

Shawn

Last edited by rickspickuppart; 07-14-2004 at 04:04 PM.
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #13
Putter
More Cowbell....

Looking at the E-bay kit, do the fittings on that look like metal conduit fittings to anyone else? The kind you get at Home Depot in the electrical section?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:44 PM   #14
jcueckert13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtnkBndt
Bowl a Pintos and a BIC will do it too.

sorry wrong exaust system
just to add a voice of reason to this that setup is illegal for street use.
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
vtblazer

Flames

WHY?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:34 PM   #16
RON WOODGEARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickspickuppart
I just tried the link and it worked for me - but Oh well, if it doesnt work search for "Flame Thrower" on Ebay the kit is 40.00. I don't know anything about the guy selling them or even if they work, but it looks all electronic and it seems safer than injecting some form of fuel into the exhaust system to make flames.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn, It's working this time.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #17
RON WOODGEARD

I emailed the guy on Ebay and asked three questions, How does the system work ? how is it activated? and what is included in the Kit if I have to furnish my own Coil/s???

Here is the response I received.........

Hello,

Our kits work on a relay system which in sense
does the same thing as a
Control Box but in a manner which allows us to
give you the best possible
price for an exhaust flame thrower.

--
Thank You,
Brian (Sales)
www.digital-bling.com

I have emailed him again for a better answer, But It sounds as if he's doing exactly as I have told you guys we Used to do it....

PUTTER,,,,

Yes those pieces do look like conduit connections !!!
Hell, maybe I should throw some wire , a couple of conduit connectors, and a Relay and go to ebay also......
Old 07-15-2004, 07:02 PM   #18
Blackhawkdc
440 american Horses

[QUOTE=RON WOODGEARD]I emailed the guy on Ebay and asked three questions, How does the system work ? how is it activated? and what is included in the Kit if I have to furnish my own Coil/s???
QUOTE]

You're old buddy that hooked up a copper tube to the washer fluid. Did he use just straight washer fluid in it? Also, how did he control the flow? Any valves or anything? Or just a pump that you could turn on and off? Any info would be great. I am working towards that set up cause I don't feel like running my engine richer than it needs to be, hurts the performance. Its a street/strip truck. I also don't want to be having to turn the ignition on and off. I want flames when I'm accelerating from a stop light. Thanks for any info you can remember!

Seth Petro

1969 Chev Short Step
1979 Pontiac Trans Am

Old 07-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #19
Blackhawkdc
440 american Horses

Thanks for the voice of reason. Fully aware that flames are illegal on the street, but did that ever stop anyone back in the 50's and 60's?

Seth Petro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcueckert13
sorry wrong exaust system
just to add a voice of reason to this that setup is illegal for street use.

1969 Chev Short Step
1979 Pontiac Trans Am

Old 07-15-2004, 07:55 PM   #20
67ChevyC10Stepside

how does windshield washer fluid work i didnt know that stuff was flammable.....
Old 07-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #21
RON WOODGEARD

I was in the 60's and we never had a problem with the John Law, but then again, we wouldn't be stupid and lay a line of flames in front of him... But at the same time, I have never seen or heard of a Law on the Flames.... Son in Law's a Prior Nye County Nevada Deputy, He doesn't remember a law either.... But then again, How often would this question comw up??? It would actually be one for a State Patrol Agency.

Blackhawk,
This guy was Crazy, he wanted the best and furthest flame.... He put different things in it, Gas, gas with starting fluid mixed in, stove oil, Kerosene....... I also remember a One Way Valve, It would stop the mixture from going back into the reservoir.. Oh Yea,, The reservoir was the type that had an internal pump. I remember his Dad raising all H*LL and having him try Alcohol.. Alcohol burns fast and pretty blue....
Old 07-15-2004, 11:05 PM   #22
Blackhawkdc
440 american Horses

windshield washer fluid is basically Methyl Alcohol. There maybe other types of washer fluid out now, but that's the main one. The fluid you can get at Walmart for 99 cents a gallon.

Thanks Ron, I'll check into that one way check valve. See if I can't find one.

1969 Chev Short Step
1979 Pontiac Trans Am