The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
Breadstick

Voltage regulator chirp/not starting

I installed a painless wiring harness (part #10206) in my 72 C20 last weekend and it won't start. According to their instructions, wires 3 and 4 of the voltage regulator plug are jumpered together with the white wire spliced to them and to hook the F and R on the voltage regulator to the F and R on the alternator. There is a red power wire for the battery lug on the alternator and nothing goes from the alternator to the battery. I hooked everything under the hood except the lights up and the connections in the cab necessary to start the truck. When I turn the key I hear a very quiet chirp kind of sound from the voltage regulator but the starter doesn't try to start. Has anyone had this kind of issue before? Unfortunately, the customer service hours for painless are about the same as my work hours so I can't call them and ask.

I put a painless harness on my 85 C10 and it was MUCH better than this. I had a novel sized manual to go by and it was really detailed. The manual for my 72 is about 35 pages and the kit didn't even come with all the connectors I need for the install.

Here is the picture from the installation instructions for the charging system.
Attached Images

Last edited by Breadstick; 07-02-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Breadstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Voltage regulator chirp/not starting

The voltage reg. wiring does not prevent the starter from working as long as the bat is well charged. Take a test light & check the purple wire at the ign. switch & at the starter. It should be hot when you turn the key to the start position. If it is hot at the switch & not at the starter check it at the neutral switch if it is an auto trans. Jump from the purple wire to the bat cable wire. The starter should turn then. If not Check all of your cables. Use a wiring diagram & follow the circuits with the test light. Once you get the engine started then you can test the charging circuit.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #3
Thealien

Neutral safety switch? Installed and adjusted properly?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
Breadstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Neutral safety switch? Installed and adjusted properly?
It's a manual so it shouldn't be the problem.
Breadstick is offline   Reply With Quote