The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2004, 08:19 AM   #26
Huck

Didn't think a Porsche could do that--what, STOP quick? They have been using multi piston calipers on their cars since mid 85' made by BREMBO. They test their brakes by driving at 110 then locking up the brakes 100 times to measure fade. Having driven them for years----I would tend to watch my rear view mirror for tailgaters knowing full well that I would stop much quicker then they would. Old trucks no matter how good our brakes work are no match for new technology. Sorry to see your loss but perhaps the lesson learned may help your next ride. Just give the guy in front plenty of room from our 35 year old rolling tanks!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:24 AM   #27
fatfords

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! This board is great.
Walker, your truck is some great inspiration. It looked very similar to mine, from the pic.
Glock35ipsc-Seeing your recently completed truck get damaged made me sick. It's tough sinking that much time, effort and money in one to have that happen.
Huck-I really meant "make my truck look like an aluminum can that Bubba just stomped on" but I get your point!
Still waiting to hear from the insurance company for the lady behind me. Could be a few more days. My belly is fine, the cut inside my mouth is healing nicely and the bump on the back of my head is nearly gone. Other than having a wrinkled old truck in the barn, I feel pretty lucky.

Thanks guys!
fatfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #28
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Dang, those pics really made my stomach turn cartwheels. I'm glad everyone was okay, a truck can be replaced easier than long term injuries or death. Fight to get every last dollar, so you can buy the needed parts to fix her back up.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #29
Blue68

This may sound odd at first, but based on the lessons learned since these trucks were built, I'm glad to see it crumple. By no means am I glad to see anyone wreck, but crumpling the truck is better than damaging the occupants. I'm happy everyone is fine.

We need to take into account how the Cayenne is built to see why you crumpled so easily. The curb weight of the Porche SUV is about 1000 pounds more than your truck, and is capable of towing over 7000 pounds. These factors tell you that its rearend is pretty solid. Plus, you did take it on the nose pretty high. Our trucks have no resistence to damage when hit above the bumper. Hit the bumper and frame rails, and the lady in the Acura can attest to what happens.

Good luck with a resolution. If you part it, and the tailgate can be straightened, let me know.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #30
als70chevy4x4

I feel your pain,yesterday driving 60 down the highway my rear driver tire (axle and all) decided it wanted to go ahead of my truck.What a spark show! Ripped up my box really good too.I think the last thing you need to here is from the morons out there saying you were driving too close.Good luck getting her back on the road soon.
als70chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #31
Jeepster376

Quote:
Originally Posted by als70chevy4x4
my rear driver tire (axle and all) decided it wanted to go ahead of my truck.

Yikes! That's scary. Did your axle break? Let us know if you find out what caused that, we don't need that happening.

Glad you got it stopped (somewhat) safely.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:07 PM   #32
72gord
Never enough time!!

Hey fatfords, glad to hear your OK...keep us posted on how you come out with the insurance...it is sometimes a battle, but hold your ground and you will get what is fair, then buy it back and rebuild it!
72gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:26 PM   #33
67gmcss

good luck with it all.....keep us posted on how it works out...
67gmcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:53 PM   #34
mr402

Very glad to hear your OK. Was rear ended in my 71 GMC in Dec. of 02. Same type of damage inthe back where the front of the bed hit the rear of the cab. No frame damage though. Guys at the body shop told me it was actually fairly common. The bed is solidly mounted but the cab mounts will flex. I'll tell you what though, my neck still hurts from that impact. I'm looking for a good late model seat with head rests and built in 3 point belts. I never want to go through that again. I agree with Putter, you can fix him, make him stronger, faster and safer!!
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:43 AM   #35
Hooter
My other Love

ahh no makes me sick just seeing that, blood, severed limbs, I can handle but a totaled 67-72 makes me turn green, that sucks the big one man, almost anything can be fixed though, my 70 Monte Carlo was in a head on collision in 1989, new frame, front clip, driverside body mount and floor pan, and its almost ready for the road again, such a shame to loose an old car to a crash, too many have been lost to the crusher already, also makes me sick to think of all the Monte SS's that went into the crushers ahhh NOOOOOO!

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM   #36
Budweis
Geared for Collision

claim a neck injury and sue the lady behind you and buy the porsche. seriously, sorry to hear your predictament. i agree it looks fixable. good luck
1977 Corvette Coupe
Budweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:19 AM   #37
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

I would be surprised if the Porsche did not receive extensive damage-those unibody vehicles can absorb a lot of damage but not show it on the outside-it could even be totaled! These old trucks though, lot easier to fix that front end-unbolt the bent stuff and bolt new panels on (for the most part).

glad you're ok!
72C10chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:28 AM   #38
obsesive23
Who me?

Ah man that sucks! But at least you're alright and I'm sure she'd make a good parts rig for a new project. Makes me think twice about not have disc brakes on mine. Glad your ok.

72 2WD Blazer, under going porter built surgery
67 GT Mustang fastback
67 Mustang coupe C/S clone
64 Falcon sprint hardtop
obsesive23 is offline   Reply With Quote