The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #1
Broken_down?

Electrical problems...

sigh. Now when I turn my right blinker on the head lights blink dim. WTF!! does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 68 chevy pickup? I am getting so frustrated!

Rich

you can email it to me too: viking-s@sbcglobal.net or @ my work: rtorres@buttecounty.net
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:15 AM   #2
walker

You might want to remove your ground terminals, sand the metal bare and screw them back down. Poor grounds cause lots of strange problems. There should be one behind the battery box for the core support. I'd clean the batt cable ground on the engine too, then the ones that connect the engine to the firewall. Take a good look at your battery cables for signs of corrosion.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:03 AM   #3
Broken_down?

cleaned the bat cables yesterday. I have a ground wire in the rear of the truck just behind the cross member on right side. is this a normal ground? I also have a red wire that runs along the frame to the front of truck to drivers side to a small electrical device. it is next to the F selonid. I will post pics tomorrow after lunch. on the rear wiring harness I have a yellow wire that goes to the right side blinker/brake light. is this normal? cause the otherside don't have that. I will check the ground you posted. Also I forgot to post I do not have any power in my right blinker outside or inside the truck (dashboard). I hate when people rig stufdf up..
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Old 07-14-2004, 02:53 AM   #4
A.P.
Black 72 Chevy

Like it was earlier, you have a grounding problem. Here are some wiring diagrams.
http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html
A.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:24 AM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

yellow-left, green-right, brown-tail, dark green-backup. sounds like a problem in r tail light itself as it only does it with r blinker. it is backfeeding through tail-headlight circuit for a ground. also check the "bulkhead" connector on rear of frame. sometimes they corrode inside & make you pull hair out finding the problem.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:47 AM   #6
Broken_down?

ok here is some pics of the "small electrical device" next to the F selniod.

http://teenhelp.bounceme.net/pictures/1.bmp

2. last..
http://teenhelp.bounceme.net/pictures/2.bmp

Any clue what the hell that thing is??? It has a small red wire that runs to the back of the truck and was stripped exposing wires when I got under there to look. I hooked all wires up right via the colors and did nto seem to matter. could that thing be causing the problems?

Rich
Old 07-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
6869704X4

Its a junction block. The power for your fuse panel runs through there. IIRC you should have the pos wire from the battery, the charging wire from the alt and one going into the truck at the firewall plug. Check wiring diagrams to be sure.
That wire might have been to run power to the back for something.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
69ride
All Go, No Show

grounding problem. not having a proper ground does some REALLY goofy things to lights