The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2021, 02:17 AM   #6
mr48chev

Re: No Headlights Dimmer Switch Disintegrated !

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Totally not needed on a stock truck. Think about how long those parts lasted before failure. The stock headlight switch ran the headlights and the added load of trailer lights also. that was part of the deign criteria back in the day.. Now that I said that, the headlight relays do work really well. For the most part this is a keep it simple affair. If you are going relay crazy why not swap everything over to constant hot with switched grounds and add a body control module? Don't go nuts over the simple things. Save the relays for things like electric fuel pumps.
I'm late to this party but burned out three good quality dimmer switches on my 71 with each lasting about six months. because the halogen lights draw more amps than the stock lights do.
Most of us who actually drive our trucks run halogen lights rather than the dim old original style lights.
True if you don't run Halogens you probably will never have an issue with the switches except wearing them out if you drive the truck enough.
I put relays on my lights and that ended the dimmer switch issue. The relays are on the inside of the core support next to the original external regulator and unless you are looking for them you never see them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote