The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #1
Blk63vette

SMS Auto Fabrics 1965 Chevrolet Custom seat Cover Review

Hello
I thought I would share my thoughts on the seat cover I received from SMS Auto Fabrics. If you are in a big hurry to get this seat cover I would say go somewhere else to get one. I was told 2 months it would be done. I send my full payment the 1st of May after reading many post about SMS fabric I was thinking about 6 months. I can wait I’m not in a big hurry. To my surprise it came today August 19th. I opened it up and first impressions are good ones it looks well made and stitching looks excellent. The only thing I kinda freaked out on was the vinyl color I sent a sample that was more of a gold color. This was done in a silvery color. I started to get “excited”. So, I decided to go to the garage where the truck is and took a sample from underneath the seat which still has the remains of the plastic cover from the factory underneath it!! My seat has looks like it’s never been out of this truck the bolts holding down the seat have no wrench marks from being removed so I am pretty sure it’s original to the truck. To my surprise again the vinyl part that is not faded from the seat is indeed a silver color!!!! Not a gold tint color!!! What in god name is going on!! So I learned some thing new today. I’m not sure why the sent that piece as a sample but ok.
I’m giving a good review for SMS Auto fabric
Attached Images

Blk63vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
Blk63vette

Re: SMS Auto Fabrics 1965 Chevrolet Custom seat Cover Review

I saw this truck today at Home Dept. I live the fact it’s still a long bed and has not been converted to small bed.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
jrusher

I ordered one from them for my 66 back in beginning of April . Still haven’t received anything. I emailed them about a week ago to see what the hold up is no response
jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
Blk63vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusher View Post
I ordered one from them for my 66 back in beginning of April . Still haven’t received anything. I emailed them about a week ago to see what the hold up is no response
Hello
I emailed them after three months and I did get a response back. They told m they we’re waiting on materials to come to finish my seat cover. They would get it done ASAP.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:54 AM   #5
Nevada51

How much does a seat cover from sms cost, ballpark, if you don’t mind me asking? Got a pic of the whole cover to share?
Something about a factory look seat really completes the look for me and shows you’ve gone that little bit further with your project.
Nevada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
Blk63vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada51 View Post
How much does a seat cover from sms cost, ballpark, if you don’t mind me asking? Got a pic of the whole cover to share?
Something about a factory look seat really completes the look for me and shows you’ve gone that little bit further with your project.
Your looking at 800 bucks for this cover they are not cheap
Pete

Last edited by Blk63vette; 08-21-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
yelmer

I waited 17 months for door panels they are slow
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
Joe P

Big thank you for taking the time to post your reviews. I find them extremely helpful!
Joe P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
Blk63vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Big thank you for taking the time to post your reviews. I find them extremely helpful!
Hello
I’m glad you like my reviews. I don’t see many people talk about there experiences. There is a lot of reviews of SMS Auto Fabric it’s basically split in half. I heard people complain about them being slow or the fabric isn’t 100% authentic (looks good to me but I’m not and expert) However, I haven’t read anything about them being made poorly or ripping off people. IMHO I think it was worth the wait. Granted they aren’t cheap it’s cost me $800 plus shipping. They want it all up front. They also put a letter with my seat cover saying this is a Custom seat cover and DO NOT do refunds. They only guarantee materials from defect. So, make sure it’s really what you want.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #10
61hawk

Just to give others another angle at getting their seat recovered. I ordered the fabric only for my seat during a sale they were running. You need 1.5 yards of material. I think I paid $225 for the material. Gave the old stripped seat to the upholstery guy. He fixed two springs, new foam and supplied the vinyl. Total cost for him was $850.

61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote