The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2004, 02:19 AM   #51
junkyardjohn

(QUOTE) at least have an ounce of respect.... Jason (QUOTE)

I'LL SHOW HIM ABOUT FOUR TIMES THE RESPECT HE SHOWED THAT POOR MERCEDES, BUT THATS BESIDE THE POINT. I THOUGHT HIS POST WAS HILLARIUS. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE THE HUMOR OF SOMEONES TIRE FALLING OFF WHILE DRIVING UP & DOWN THE DRIVEWAY, DOSEN'T MAKE IT LESS FUNNY.
LIGHTEN UP .... YOUR GONNA WORK YOURSELF INTO A LATHER. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:25 AM   #52
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

lol.... Sorry for the mess Dinnut. I'm with Junkyard john on this one.... If it would have been me I would have been laughing my ass off. Where's this Benz you guys speak of?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:54 AM   #53
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

I don't get the problem here? Dinnut knows it's all n fun, just means we all like the guy. I've had to live down alot of things in life. Some will probably be remmembered long after I'm gone, that is if anyone cares. The problem, cure, and future prevention have all been addressed. How many times have we all had to live down things similar between our buds? They wouldnt be our friends if they didn't care enough to rib us like this, come on. Lighten up a little.

Hey Dinnut,
Believe it or not, Pep Boys carries a line of Ralley/Rallie (sp?) lug nuts. I'm pretty sure they will have them.

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:52 AM   #54
cdowns

my observation is somebody posting 6responces in big capital letters without one suggestion on what to do to cure a serious problem
HOW DOES THIS HELP??
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #55
greasemonkey

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=109736
I'm sure dinnut takes good care of all of his vehicles. How could any of you guys think differently?
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #56
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
my observation is somebody posting 6responces in big capital letters without one suggestion on what to do to cure a serious problem
HOW DOES THIS HELP??
CDOWNS... LIGHTEN UP .. IT'S A FUNNY SITUATION .. NOBODY GOT HURT. AT LEAST NO ONE IS MAKING FUN OF YOU DRIVING A FORD PINTO WAGON, OR STRATTELING A WIZZER. IF THE WAY I TYPE, OR THE CONTENT OF MY POSTS BOTHER YOU SO MUCH, WHY DON'T YOU PUT ME ON YOUR IGNORE LIST. THEN YOU'LL HAVE MORE TIME TO PLAY WITH YOUR WIZZER. BESIDES THERE WERE 37 DIFFERENT POSTS WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR THIS MISHAP, & I FIGURED THE LAST THING NEEDED WAS ANOTHER OPINION OR OBSERVATION FROM A ARM CHAIR MECHANIC. SORRY DINNUT BUT IT'S STILL FUNNY... I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-15-2004 at 03:43 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #57
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertonguedevil
How was that confusing? I think it's very to-the-point. These are only suggestions considering the situation is not right in front of any one of us. We are trying to diagnose this problem with nothing more to go on other than some crappy pictures. We're just trying to help him be aware of every possibility. I don't think it is fair for you to knock anyone's opinion because unless you've driven over to the guy's house and looked for yourself, you may not have the answers either....which in turn may make your answer confusing. But yes, your diagnosis is another possible option

Those are "Ultra" brand rims. Its a composit steel rim with a cast steel center. I use to own a set. They are lug centric and do not use the type lug nut you showed a image of. He had the correct lug nuts as long as he had enough wheel stud.

His problem was an installation problem not the wrong lug nut problem.

Very few rims these day use that style lug nut you pictured. The reason being is they want a rim to be as universal as possible. That lug nut is for a hubcentric rim. The center of the wheel centers on the hub so all the lug nuts do is hold it on. With a lug centric rim the lug nuts also center the rim.
Why they don't make as many hubcentric style is cost. Personnaly it's better but Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, Airstream trailer, most 5200 trailer axles and Isuzu all have the same 6x5.5 lug pattern but not the same hub diameter. So lugcentric they can make one wheel fit all.

Sorry that you percived that as a personal attack. It was not ment to be. I didn't mean for you to get your panites in a wad.

My attmept was to make sure this guy had correct information. Having owned that brand wheel before I just wanted to make sure he had the correct information. I gave him an education on rim types and things to do to prevent that in the future and did not flame the guy for his misfortune. I made a helpful CORRECT information post that you took offense to.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:53 AM   #58
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
... Very few rims these day use that style lug nut you pictured. The reason being is they want a rim to be as universal as possible. That lug nut is for a hubcentric rim. The center of the wheel centers on the hub so all the lug nuts do is hold it on. With a lug centric rim the lug nuts also center the rim.
Why they don't make as many hubcentric style is cost. Personnaly it's better but Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, Airstream trailer, most 5200 trailer axles and Isuzu all have the same 6x5.5 lug pattern but not the same hub diameter. So lugcentric they can make one wheel fit all...
It was me that posted the lugnut pic and now you have me confused.

If I understand "hub-centic" vs. "Lug-centric" how was that not the correct lugnut? The acorn nuts were used on the stock steel rims of the era which are "hub-centric" are they not? To center the wheel using a "lug-centric" rim, does not the lugnut require a shoulder or "shank"? I'm in no way implying you're wrong, I'm just very confused

Here is pic again:
Attached Images

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:43 PM   #59
silvertonguedevil

HOLY SH!T THIS POST SUCKS :lol

"everybody was kung-fu fighting"

My Chevy trucks, past and present:

1962 C10 SB Fleetside
1964 C10 LB Fleetside BBW
1966 C10 SB Fleetside
1966 C10 SB Fleetside BBW
1968 C10 SB Fleetside
1971 C10 LB Fleetside
1971 C10 SB Fleetside
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1972 C10 LB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1974 C20 Cheyenne
1979 K5 Blazer Cheyenne
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Custom Deluxe
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Scottsdale
1986 C10 SB Fleetside Silverado
2008 Silverado 1500 4x4
silvertonguedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #60
silvertonguedevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
Those are "Ultra" brand rims. Its a composit steel rim with a cast steel center. I use to own a set. They are lug centric and do not use the type lug nut you showed a image of. He had the correct lug nuts as long as he had enough wheel stud.

His problem was an installation problem not the wrong lug nut problem.

Very few rims these day use that style lug nut you pictured. The reason being is they want a rim to be as universal as possible. That lug nut is for a hubcentric rim. The center of the wheel centers on the hub so all the lug nuts do is hold it on. With a lug centric rim the lug nuts also center the rim.
Why they don't make as many hubcentric style is cost. Personnaly it's better but Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, Airstream trailer, most 5200 trailer axles and Isuzu all have the same 6x5.5 lug pattern but not the same hub diameter. So lugcentric they can make one wheel fit all.

Sorry that you percived that as a personal attack. It was not ment to be. I didn't mean for you to get your panites in a wad.

My attmept was to make sure this guy had correct information. Having owned that brand wheel before I just wanted to make sure he had the correct information. I gave him an education on rim types and things to do to prevent that in the future and did not flame the guy for his misfortune. I made a helpful CORRECT information post that you took offense to.

My apologies for firing off at you. It had just seemed to me that you were trying to discredit everything that was mentioned before you. Not any one of us was wrong. Those were all possiblities for this type of situation. I may have just perceived your "don't confuse him" line incorrectly. I understood it in the way that you were right and we were all wasting our time because we were wrong. Whether or not that is/was the case, I just didn't feel that was the proper way of approaching it and I took offense. I sincerely apologize for the way I handled it. We are all trying to help him and at the same time, make light of, what can be, a bad situation. It seems that everyone is freaking out here.

1962 C10 SB Fleetside
1966 C10 SB Fleetside
1968 C10 SB Fleetside
1971 C10 LB Fleetside
1971 C10 SB Fleetside
1974 C20 Cheyenne
1979 K5 Blazer Cheyenne
2008 Silverado 1500 4x4
Old 07-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #61
blazerholic
I am a Gov't Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertonguedevil
HOLY SH!T THIS POST SUCKS :lol

"everybody was kung-fu fighting"
Agreed!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #62
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Those are shank style holes in the wheels. That is why they appear to be to big in diameter. The holes have to be large enough for the shank of the nut to go into them. That is also why the studs appear to be too short. The shank style wheels are thicker in the lug flange area to give the shank a place to fit. Almost all of the older aluminum wheels were shank style, the conical seat style is a newer thing for aluminum wheels. They are not interchangable........even if you had longer studs to make them "seem to" work, there is not enough surface contact anywhere. The taper of the nut is only touching the edge of the hole and the larger diameter holes do not fit the studs properly with out the shank surface of the proper nuts.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:50 PM   #63
dinnut

wow i forgot about this post and it turned into one big arguement... and i do take care of the truck... and the mercedes i dont really care about i got new tires and i take care of it now... im going to try to sell it to fix up the truck....
and about the rims. i didnt buy the rims or the lugnuts.. they were put on the previous owner and im going to try to find the correct lugnuts for them i want to correct this situation and im no hack like yall are trying to say

i have to go but ill finish replying later
Old 07-18-2004, 12:27 AM   #64
dinnut

2 of the studs are bent so i cant get my custom rims back on because of the tight clearances w/ the lug nuts so im going to have to get 3 new studs but might as well get all 6 while were in there. till then im going to run it with the mini spare. hehe 205/65/15s do NOT look good on these trucks. the pics i took make it look a dragster with the big and the little....

and yes the truck was only driven in my yard.... we do not have insurance, and it is not inspected so if yall are trying so its because i drive hard. how fast can i drive in my driveway.... 10mph MAX?

im goign to get the correct lug nuts all 24 of them...... and im going to fix the mismatched lugs the previous owner put on....

im no hack... and the mercedes im tryign to sell i completely replaced the stereo system and we fixed the a/c and put a new waterpump on it...

oh yeah and i thought it was hilarious the way the wheel came off. i was laughing and very upset at the same time and i was really was just driving up and down the driveway.....
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2004, 01:24 AM   #65
silvertonguedevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnut
oh yeah and i thought it was hilarious the way the wheel came off.
Good to see that you have a sense of humor and that you're posting again. We didn't want to scare you off. Good luck with fixing your truck.

1962 C10 SB Fleetside
1966 C10 SB Fleetside
1968 C10 SB Fleetside
1971 C10 LB Fleetside
1971 C10 SB Fleetside
1974 C20 Cheyenne
1979 K5 Blazer Cheyenne
2008 Silverado 1500 4x4
Old 07-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #66
guyryan100

I'd bet money they were loose. Maybe forgot to tighten one wheel down after a tire rotation or something... if they WERE loose you'd definately snap the studs (happened to me too). If there were loose, the added offset would be a significant factor. If they were tightned down, I'm not sure it would be such a factor.

Nice truck, by the way!

Last edited by guyryan100; 07-19-2004 at 08:53 PM.
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:15 PM   #67
67cst
i love summertime

john i still think its funny too

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #68
dinnut

fixed it today. put 6 new studs in the front just to be safe and i put 1 in the rear where one was broken off a while ago (previous owner was a crackhead) i drove it today and the valve seals have leaked so bad my expensive bosch 4 tip platinum plugs are BLACK as can be once again in going to have to clean them up and put them back in...

oh yeah i got new lug nuts for the whole right side of the truck. ineed to buy some more to finish up the left side....