The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #1
kglowacky

steering wheel adjustment

Now that I am finished troubleshooting my slop in the steering column my steering wheel is not in the 12 o'clock position going down the road. Can I just remove the steering wheel horn button and bolt remove the wheel and move it a couple splines to solve this problem. I remember many years ago you can do this on older steering columns but not sure about a 1982 tilt. Thanks
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
dagnabbitt

Re: steering wheel adjustment

If you have been fixing a bunch of front end stuff you might want to get a wheel alignment, and they can fix that properly for you at the same time.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
kwmech

82 column should have a master spline. If the wheel is off then something needs adjustment with the alignment to keep the steering box centered

Last edited by kwmech; 10-05-2021 at 10:31 AM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
If you have been fixing a bunch of front end stuff you might want to get a wheel alignment, and they can fix that properly for you at the same time.
This has happened to me. And slight adjustments brought my steering wheel back to center.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
Dead Parrot

Maybe. Depends on both the wheel and other column parts. The OEM wheel on my 75 allowed for some resetting of the wheel by just pulling and resetting the wheel. A replacement wheel from a 80's Blazer requires pulling and resetting the plate that is a PITA to pull as the wheel has no slop in the hole for the horn button connector. The OEM 75 wheel had an arc of space for the horn connector. I replaced the OEM wheel as it had developed the sticky ooze problem.

If it has been a while since you had an alignment done, that might be the better solution.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
kglowacky

Had the alignment done 500 miles ago when I had slop in the wheel. I figured they had to guess when the center was.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
kglowacky

just pulled steering wheel. Those who voted no were correct. The horn plastic tube makes it not able to reset the wheel in any other position other then current. So I will need another alignment to solve this problem. Now that I got the wheel off I am deciding if I want to fix my non cancelling right blinker, Either the cancelling cam or switch itself. Will need to buy or rent a tool to get clip off.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
Dead Parrot

If you decide to replace the turn switch, you can reposition the lock plate and fix the steering wheel issue. Mark where it is now and adjust a spline or two when putting it back on. That should adjust the plastic tube and let you adjust the steering wheel the same amount.

Mine was perfect until I replaced the turn switch. I skipped the marking step and when reinstalling, I had to guess and the steering wheel wound up about 20 degrees off.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
DoubleDubya

On my K1500 I adjusted the drag link (connects the pitman arm to the spindle) to center my steering wheel. No alignment needed. Simply loosen the bolts on the sleeve and turn it one way or the other until the steering wheel is straight and then tighten the bolts again.
DoubleDubya is offline   Reply With Quote