The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #1
Lethal Tendencies

Brake spacer

My master cylinder and booster kit came with a metal spacer to put in the master cylinder for the push rod if needed. Are most people using this ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Lethal Tendencies; 09-30-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Lethal Tendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
Lethal Tendencies

Re: Brake spacer

Here is the master. 1" bore
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
geunther

It's really not an option about whether you want to use it or not, you either need it, or you don't. Measure the rod extension out of booster and compare with recess of MC piston.There should be slight clearance.

Some MCs have a recessed piston, others are more flush.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
Lethal Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
It's really not an option about whether you want to use it or not, you either need it, or you don't. Measure the rod extension out of booster and compare with recess of MC piston.There should be slight clearance.

Some MCs have a recessed piston, others are more flush.
Mine is recessed. How far do you think the rod should extend before it hits the piston?
Old 09-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
geunther

something like .020. The bigger the gap, the more pedal movement before actually applying brakes.

Before mounting your stuff, on the bench you should be able to see whether to use the spacer/extender or not. It looks to be 2" or so? It will either go in there naturally or you will have to force the piston down to mount the MC to booster. The MC should just mount to booster without any spring pressure. post of pic of the booster rod.
Attached Images

Last edited by geunther; 09-30-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #6
Lethal Tendencies

Quote:
something like .020. The bigger the gap, the more pedal movement before actually applying brakes.

Before mounting your stuff, on the bench you should be able to see whether to use the spacer/extender or not. It looks to be 2" or so? It will either go in there naturally or you will have to force the piston down to mount the MC to booster. The MC should just mount to booster without any spring pressure. post of pic of the booster rod.
Not at home at the moment so I will post picture later. The booster rod right now is just barely sticking out of the booster.And the master piston contact point is deep

Last edited by Lethal Tendencies; 09-30-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #7
Lethal Tendencies

Booster rod
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
geunther

Best guess without measuring is you will likely need the extension. I do not but my booster rod is almost to the end of the mounting bolts (1.255 from past the mounting surface)
Old 09-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
Lethal Tendencies

Quote:
Best guess without measuring is you will likely need the extension. I do not but my booster rod is almost to the end of the mounting bolts (1.255 from past the mounting surface)
My booster came with an additional rod that I am assuming is longer. I am going to use the spacer first and see. Thank you for the information
Old 10-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #10
Lethal Tendencies

The spacer didn't work. I put in the longer rod. Worked good. Truck almost stops too good.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
dz1087

I actually had to add a washer to each of the studs on the booster to get the master cylinder moved out slightly. Without those, it was very lightly applying pressure to my front discs. The resulting heat would build up enough to where it would create a hot spot on one or both discs, resulting in a slight grab that would devolve into a massive oscillation of the steering components. Very similar to Jeep Death Wobble. Took me some time to figure out what was causing that.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #12
Lethal Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
I actually had to add a washer to each of the studs on the booster to get the master cylinder moved out slightly. Without those, it was very lightly applying pressure to my front discs. The resulting heat would build up enough to where it would create a hot spot on one or both discs, resulting in a slight grab that would devolve into a massive oscillation of the steering components. Very similar to Jeep Death Wobble. Took me some time to figure out what was causing that.
I may try that, Thanks
Old 10-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #13
Lethal Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
I did that trick with the washers. Definitely helped. Don't feel like I am going to fly through windshield when I touch the brakes now.