The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Rats!

There's a rat or goodness forbid plural...in the suburban it's never had an issue like this before. The idiot previous owner cut giant holes for speakers into the interior walls. I really believe it's the new neighbors who drive thru town every trash day and lug stuff back home, and most of it is junk junk. These rat bastards are climbing the top of my fence (on the new nusance neighbors side of course) at night on the hood of the vehicle. It's totally out of hand. Not to mention I have an serious phobia of them. I've seen them on the surveillance camera in the yard not actually in real life.

But forget the rant how do I get rid them in the suburban, not sure if they're living in there and never leaving or if they leave and return no idea.
I threw a couple traps with peanut butter but nothing.

There's no food source around, I was wondering if the bucket trap really works I'd really hate for these bastards to die in a hidden place.

Thanks for your help.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: Rats!

Is your Suburban driven often, or sit for pong periods of time or non-operational? rodents are less prone to try to setup home in a vehicle that is driven/moved often.
It's pretty easy to tell if you have rodents IN your suburban, you'll see droppings and other signs they are in there. One way to determine if they are IN your Suburban - put a roll of toilet paper in there, they'll rip it up to make a nests. Preventing them from getting in is difficult, they are looking for a place to setup home, whether in the interior or other crevices in the vehicle (i.e motor bay, exhaust, air vents etc) Having a good rodent hunting cat is a great deterrent. I've had success with the electronic zapper rat traps, light goes on when one is trapped and you don't have to touch it to dispose of it. Keeping the area well lit at night helps as does keeping the hood open, when it's closed, it provides a protected area for them to setup home. It's not an easy task, you have to monitor the situation, remain vigilant, there's a bit of trial and error involved.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
karlbenz

I had a mouse getting in my 64. set a trap with peanut butter. gone the next day. don't over think this
karlbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
4u2nv

Put some bounce softner sheets here and there , mice hate them and won't go near your truck.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
TrailerTrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Put some bounce softner sheets here and there , mice hate them and won't go near your truck.
I have heard this trick before but never had to try it myself. But I dont see a downside to giving it a try. You can stuff them anywhere and they smell good

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
Dead Parrot

You can get poison that is inside plastic holders to keep dogs and kids away from the bait.

Check with your local animal shelter for a rescue outdoor cat. Many shelters have a policy where they take feral cats and vaccinate, spay/neuter, and return them to the neighborhood.

If you like dogs, get a terrier. Most have a very strong anti-rat bias.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

Rodents dont like the smell of mint. I buy it in packets that look like tea bags and place them in and around the stored vehicles . I cant use fabric softener sheets the smell makes me nauseous.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

theres a product called Cab Fresh get it at tractor supply works great especially if you add a couple of cachets of morth flakes

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote