The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2004, 10:35 AM   #1
elwood
Keep it gangsta!

Angry Having a really bad time here...

I'm am now almost steaming mad...heres why,

I bought this truck in November 2003,1978 C20 with a newly rebuilt engine (350) and a rebuilt trans (700R4). It also came with a new dual exhaust setup with headers and H-pipe as well as a 14 bolt full floating rear and an '85 cab/ front clip.

I have just found that most of both doors are bondo,and most of the passenger bed side is bondo.

The front clip that came on this truck was all mashed up so I put a whole new front clip on it ('81). Used decent reproduction parts and I could never get the front end of this truck straight, the bolt holes did not line up worth a crap. So off I go to the junk yard. Pick up a complete front clip from a '73, but I had to buy repro fenders because they didnt have a straight one in the whole place. Got everything home...nothing lines up except the core support. Finally jerry rigged the clip on the truck with big gaps between the front of the doors and the back of the fenders. Ok, time to put the hood on. I use the hinges/ springs the yard gave me and one side went on fine but one of the holes in the drivers fender wasnt threaded just right. Finally got that rigged up. Now I go to close the hood and nothing happens. So I pull down harder on the hood and it buckles in half, the hinges seem to have siezed up. Finally got it closed by prying. Now I cant use my wipers because the posts are too long and they come in contact with the hood when it closes.

But the truck has a new interior (carpet, dash, steering wheel)

I feel like I'm throwing money away everytime I work on this truck.

So do I dump it or what? How much could I get for this thing. I would like to start fresh with another GM truck.

Thanks, elwood

It's old school, but moves along nicely...

'78 C-20 - SOLD
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

I'd say to find a truck that doesn't have a body and throw your drivetrain into it =) You obviously arn't too attached to the body of it anyways, hehe
Old 07-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
RockHQ
ROCKET POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood
I'm am now almost steaming mad...heres why,

I bought this truck in November 2003,1978 C20 with a newly rebuilt engine (350) and a rebuilt trans (700R4). It also came with a new dual exhaust setup with headers and H-pipe as well as a 14 bolt full floating rear and an '85 cab/ front clip.

I have just found that most of both doors are bondo,and most of the passenger bed side is bondo.

The front clip that came on this truck was all mashed up so I put a whole new front clip on it ('81). Used decent reproduction parts and I could never get the front end of this truck straight, the bolt holes did not line up worth a crap. So off I go to the junk yard. Pick up a complete front clip from a '73, but I had to buy repro fenders because they didnt have a straight one in the whole place. Got everything home...nothing lines up except the core support. Finally jerry rigged the clip on the truck with big gaps between the front of the doors and the back of the fenders. Ok, time to put the hood on. I use the hinges/ springs the yard gave me and one side went on fine but one of the holes in the drivers fender wasnt threaded just right. Finally got that rigged up. Now I go to close the hood and nothing happens. So I pull down harder on the hood and it buckles in half, the hinges seem to have siezed up. Finally got it closed by prying. Now I cant use my wipers because the posts are too long and they come in contact with the hood when it closes.

But the truck has a new interior (carpet, dash, steering wheel)

I feel like I'm throwing money away everytime I work on this truck.

So do I dump it or what? How much could I get for this thing. I would like to start fresh with another GM truck.

Thanks, elwood

I recall someone who had done a 73-80 frame to 81-91 cab swap saying that you must use different bolt holes for the cab mounts to make it all fit. Maybe that's a part of your problem.
What did i do last nite?

1979 C-10 shortfleet: Olds 350, Th400, 12 bolt
Current project: 1969 Olds 455 W-30, needing a rebuild
RockHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
plumbcut
california fill

damn that is some tough luck youve been having there. What condition is the cab in? If the cab and rest of the chassis are good, Id probably be inclined to keep looking for a good bed and front clip. How much did you pay for the clips that youve bought, if you dont mind me asking? Youre in phoenix and Im in san diego but I might have a complete 91 front clip for sale in the future.. One of the fenders was recently replaced with a repro but other than that its all gm and rust free and in good shape.. Please dont start PM'ing me people, its not for sale yet But something to keep in mind.

good luck

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
elwood
Keep it gangsta!

Yeah, it drives like a new truck, but the body is in horrid shape. The cab (an '85) I is great shape. I have a vendor that sells repro crap and they give me a pretty good discount, but all of their parts are kind of thin. I spent about $200 for the '81 front clip, brand new all repro stuff. I spent $350 on the '73 clip from the yard, they gave me thicker repro fenders and all the trim & grille stuff.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just feeling kind of hopeless at the moment.

It's old school, but moves along nicely...

'78 C-20 - SOLD
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:21 AM   #6
Bowed

I go to " Pull A Part truck " on broadway below the Phoenix landfill . He has about 50 of these trucks and plenty of good original sheet metal , check them out . I agree with ROCKHQ to check the alignment of your cab . I have done 2 of those conversions and did not have problems like that . On my 73 to 87's I install the inside hood braces to keep these old hoods from bending and you should be able to get them at "Grumpys " on the Black Canyon freeway or from J C Whitney for about $20.00 .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Eyegore
What Hump?

Hey elwood, feel your pain, had this problem w/ the 1st truck i bought my oldest son while he was still in HS, truck was originally a disesel converted to gas. Well after throwing $2200 i learned to stop throwing good money at bad. Si if I were you I would watch for a 78 like yours for sale that needs an engine and trans, they're all over the valley usally parked on the side of the road, I've seen them for sale for around $1000, that is probably pretty close to what you have spent on body parts anyway. Find one of these and transfer your engine/trans to it and sell the rest off in parts, you may come close to breaking even.

Just my two cents.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

buyer beware. Hate to hear all the trouble. I would keep an eye on the papers for a good body truck with smoked drive line.

Trick on the 73-80 hoods. NEVER pull straight down on them or you will buckle the hood. You have to push the hood towards the base of the windsheild to get the hinge to start moving. The 81 up hood works a lot better.

Watch here, www.ck5.com and www.pirate4x4.com and good rust free bad drivtrain trucks show up fairly ofter for a good price.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote