The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

? On Carrier Bearing

My Son has a 71 GMC 1500 with 2 piece drive shaft. We want to put the Super duty Aluminum housing one in. Most of the ones I’ve done mount with 2 bolts in line with the drive shaft. His mounts across the drive shaft - can it be changed to the in line one???
Attached Images

2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:53 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: ? On Carrier Bearing

My 70 has the one inline with the drive shaft. I am not sure you have room to drill the other holes. I mean getting the drill in place not room on the support for the holes.
Ill take a look in the morning if someone else hasn't answered.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

I am assuming it is a leaf spring truck? Is it lowered?
There is an angle bracket that your current bearing bolts to it will need to be removed and the inline bracket installed. Leaf spring trucks and 3/4 tons use the bearing style in your first photo. I believe there are more than one ID of those bearings depending on the gross weight rating of the truck. You should verify the ID of your current bearing as it may not match the billet style.
I ran one of those billet bearings on my Burban for a while without issue. There are some things to consider going it to the conversion. The new style bearing holds the front shaft in place and you will need a slip joint in the aft drive line. A leaf spring truck should already have the slip joint installed.
Since your going to have to install a new carrier bearing mount you will need to measure your drive line angles to make sure you install the new mount at the correct height.
Make sure that the billet housing doesn't tilt or twist once it is bolted securely as the polyurethane won't compensate for any misalignment like the factory style will.
Some poor photos of mine installed and hopefully showing the inline mount and the arrows showing the rivets that hold it in place.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 10-09-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: -4 Grammer
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I am assuming it is a leaf spring truck? Is it lowered?
There is an angle bracket that your current bearing bolts to it will need to be removed and the inline bracket installed. Leaf spring trucks and 3/4 tons use the bearing style in your first photo. I believe there are more than one ID of those bearings depending on the gross weight rating of the truck. You should verify the ID of your current bearing as it may not match the billet style.
I ran one of those billet bearings on my Burban for a while without issue. There are some things to consider going it to the conversion. The new style bearing holds the front shaft in place and you will need a slip joint in the aft drive line. A leaf spring truck should already have the slip joint installed.
Since your going to have to install a new carrier bearing mount you will need to measure your drive line angles to make sure you install the new mount at the correct height.
Make sure that the billet housing doesn't tilt or twist once it is bolted securely as the polyurethane won't compensate for any misalignment like the factory style will.
Some poor photos of mine installed and hopefully showing the inline mount and the arrows showing the rivets that hold it in place.
Thank you, that’s exactly what I needed to know. Yes it’s Leaf and has slip joint
Just need to find in line mount. Very Healthy SB and Muncie 4 speed. Trying to keep the drive shaft in place
Thanks Again
Pittsburg Ca
Old 10-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
68Gold/white

That inline carrier bearing looks nice, but the units that parts stores carry are VERY weak.

I prefer the cross bolted type. The slip yoke yoke type drive shaft is a much better and stronger design, my opinion.

The majority of 1/2 ton Chevrolet's were coil spring pickups and they had they in line bearing.

The Super Duty inline bearing has been designed and made, because the original (like parts store sell) is not a very good design.
Drive shafts get old, get dinged up, U-joints get changed, they loose some of their balance. When this happens the in line bearing is REALLY tested. Without a proper drive shaft assy re-balance, the inline bearing many times will not hold up.

Man I am glad to see someone makes that Super Duty in line bearing, it has been needed for years!!!

The 3/4 and one tons use the cross bolt type bearing BECAUSE it is much stronger to start with.

If you just buy a stock replacement cross bolt type of carrier bearing for your pickup, it will work fine!!!

IF, IF you decide to use a inline bolt type of carrier bearing, I'd like to buy your old cross type bracket. You'll have to drill out the rivets to remove it...................

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 10-09-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: bong
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:47 PM   #6
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
That inline carrier bearing looks nice, but the units that parts stores carry are VERY weak.

I prefer the cross bolted type. The slip yoke yoke type drive shaft is a much better and stronger design, my opinion.

The majority of 1/2 ton Chevrolet's were coil spring pickups and they had they in line bearing.

The Super Duty inline bearing has been designed and made, because the original (like parts store sell) is not a very good design.
Drive shafts get old, get dinged up, U-joints get changed, they loose some of their balance. When this happens the in line bearing is REALLY tested. Without a proper drive shaft assy re-balance, the inline bearing many times will not hold up.

Man I am glad to see someone makes that Super Duty in line bearing, it has been needed for years!!!

The 3/4 and one tons use the cross bolt type bearing BECAUSE it is much stronger to start with.

If you just buy a stock replacement cross bolt type of carrier bearing for your pickup, it will work fine!!!

IF, IF you decide to use a inline bolt type of carrier bearing, I'd like to buy your old cross type bracket. You'll have to drill out the rivets to remove it...................
Once removed I’ll get back to you
Pittsburg Ca
Old 10-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

I agree with 68Gold/white on the inline style being a weaker design. GM used it on the 1/2 ton coil spring trucks in order to have a cheaper drive line. No sliding joints in the drive line so the carrier needed adjustment fore and aft for proper installation.
On vehicles that had higher loads on the drive train the side by side type was used. Where the inline style has poor stability against side to side movement the side by side bolt style is much more stable. Think about trying to hold the drive shaft in place with 400 ft-lb's of torque trying to remove the carrier bearing from its mounting.
Just food for thought.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #8
firedemon

those sheetmetal inline ones dont like linelock
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote